We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turkish bath and public transportation

us
Level Contributor
169 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Turkish bath and public transportation

My husband and I would like to try the Turkish bath while in Istanbul. Could you give us some ideas/suggestions/recommendations? Do you have to make reservations beforehand?

I also have a question regarding public transportation. From what I read here, we can basically depend on the tram, metro, etc. Is there a pass that we can purchase or do we buy individual tickets on board? If so, do you have to have exact change for the fare?

Thanks again for all the help I have already received!

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,388 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turkish bath and public transportation

newtraveler2006, I suggest Suleymaniye Hamam for you. It is the only hamam in Istanbul where you can go with your husband, together as a family. All others are segregated based on sex. Have a look: "http://www.suleymaniyehamami.com.tr/".

You need to get an Istanbulkart which is good on all public transport. Get it at the metro station at the airport, and top it with prepaid fares (say 30 TL). It is best to get one for each person in the party. This pass gives 35 discount on all fares on all public transport (trams, ferries, buses, local trains, metros, cable cars, etc.). Here is the rail systems map of Istanbul: "…wikimedia.org/wikipedia/…29.png".

good luck,

enigma...

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turkish bath and public transportation

Having a Turkish bath is one of the great luxuries - and a great relation after the craziness of the city. Decide what is important to you from this experience. Do you want to be together in the hammam (which would mean being in a mixed bath with male attendants - so you get to experience the environment but not the tradition) or do you want to experience a more traditional segregated hammam (no Turkish woman would permit a male attendant!) which is more relaxed in terms of need for modesty as it is a women (or men) only space with female attendants. If you want to be with your partner, then Suleymaniye is your only option - otherwise I enjoy Cemberlitas.

Whichever you choose, visit early (pre 4pm) if you want to avoid the busy periods.

us
Level Contributor
169 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Turkish bath and public transportation

Thanks for the thoughtful advice on the bath.

For transportation, the Istanbulkart sounds terrific. If you don't use up all the money, Is the remaining portion refunded to you? Please let me know.

Thanks again!

Edited: 24 September 2013, 03:29
Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,146 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turkish bath and public transportation

No. You can return your Istanbulkart and receive a refund of the deposit, but you will lose any money still remaining on the card. I generally suggest that you simply give the card to a helpful member of your hotel staff. It is something that is always useful and appreciated. The deposit is so insignificant it is not worth it to me to walk back and redeem the deposit. I would rather bring a smile to the face of the maid who cleans my room.

You should not, however, believe that this will substitute for a nice tip, unless you leave 30TL still on your card.

us
Level Contributor
169 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Turkish bath and public transportation

Thanks, BR. Good to see you again!

karachi
Level Contributor
397 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turkish bath and public transportation

or else just keep it as a souvenir. It will remind you of your trip. :)

BTW, the similar card is valid for 5 years in Dubai and for the same period in Singapore. I've 'em in my closet.

If you want to do a trip again somewhere in the future it might come in handy again.

You will not have to buy it again. (I am not sure about its validity, though). Maybe BR can elaborate on it.

Edited: 28 September 2013, 21:09
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turkish bath and public transportation

Hi I am new to the form and found it really interesting. Since we are planning to travel (in November) with 2 kids and an infant how should we use the card? And are the kids/ infants charged at the same rate as adults? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Trondheim
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Turkish bath and public transportation

Kids do not pay, just lift them over the barrier. Actually I do not know if an infant should pay, think so.

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Turkish bath and public transportation

Thanks. Just found out that Kids aged six and below travel free :)

10. Re: Turkish bath and public transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2014, 05:17