We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Option: Bus or Plane from Istanbul to Thessaloniki?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
60 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best Option: Bus or Plane from Istanbul to Thessaloniki?

Hi Everyone!

I am planning a trip to Istanbul in November and I'd like to visit Thessaloniki over the weekend.

I am trying to decide between the following options:

1. Taking the straight flight on Turkish Air from IST to Thessaloniki

2. Taking one of the overnight busses from IST to Thessaloniki

3. Take the bus to Thessaloniki and the plane back to IST

The flights are about 2 hours and the bus rides are about 10 hours. It may seem like an easy decision, since the flights are technically short. But I know that some airports can be a hassle to get to/go through customs (plus airports are usually located outside the city central so you have to take a taxi or bus into city center)

I've love some advice on which route to choose and perhaps some feedback from people have who taken flights or busses.

Thank you! Happy Travels :)

Gina

Istanbul
Level Contributor
619 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Option: Bus or Plane from Istanbul to Thessaloniki?

I would definitely go with flying. RT tickets from Istanbul to Thessaloniki in November with Turkish Airlines are selling for $113 during the entire month, regardless of the length of stay in Thessaloniki. Flights take 1:15. This flight leaves from Ataturk Airport in Istanbul which is easily reached by public transportation. SKG (Thessaloniki Airport is near the city center and is cheaply and easily reached by city bus #78. I would definably go with the flight. Bus fares with Metro Turizm are around 100TL (about 40% of the airfare.)

Istanbul (IST) to Thessaloniki (SKG) - Fri, Nov 1

Turkish Airlines Inc. Turkish Airlines Inc. 1881 Dep: 1:15PM Arr: 2:35PM 1h 20m Boeing 737 Economy (W)

Thessaloniki (SKG) to Istanbul (IST) - Sat, Nov 2

Turkish Airlines Inc. Turkish Airlines Inc. 1882 Dep: 3:35PM Arr: 4:50PM 1h 15m Boeing 737 Economy (W)

Cost per passenger (including taxes & fees) $113.00

Total cost for 1 passenger $113.00

Interestingly enough, the single air ticket IST-SKG or SKG-IST is more expensive than this $113 return ticket.

Edited: 29 September 2013, 01:29
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
60 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Option: Bus or Plane from Istanbul to Thessaloniki?

Thank you so much Cagcag!

Looks like I will be going with the plane option :)

Cheers,

Gina

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
38,189 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Option: Bus or Plane from Istanbul to Thessaloniki?

GMG, a direct R/T flight over the weekend in November by Turkish Airlines costs 88 USD only, "skyscanner.com.tr/flights/ista/skg/131115/13…" and just like "cagcag" says take a flight.

enigma...

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
60 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Option: Bus or Plane from Istanbul to Thessaloniki?

Thanks Engima!

Istanbul, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
3,996 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Option: Bus or Plane from Istanbul to Thessaloniki?

Hi,

It all depends on your itinerary. Both have cons/pros.

- Flight takes 1 hour but you should be at the airport 2h prior your flight. Taxi costs around 50 TL to airport. Another transfer needed in Thessaloniki. A midday flight will not left time to enjoy city on both days.

- Overnight bus will take you to Thessaloniki in early morning which saves day. Same in return. The major problem with bus is customs. This make take few hours depending on queues.

Alper

http://locallypera.blogspot.com

6. Re: Best Option: Bus or Plane from Istanbul to Thessaloniki?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2014, 05:18