We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eid next week?

London, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Eid next week?

Hi,

I'm planning to be in Istanbul with my family from Tuesday to Friday next week. I know that Eid is on Wednesday - just wondered how this will affect us. Will tourist attractions be open as usual or is everything likely to be closed? Will public transportation run as normal? Will it be just be for one day or does the holiday extend? Also, will malls and kiddie venues be open (Miniaturk, Via, Ice museum, etc..) ? We will be staying in Sultanahmet so I hope it won't be too quiet and deserted because of the holiday. Thanks in advance for your help.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eid next week?

Attractions will be closed on Tuesday,the first day of the holiday,until13.00 but open to normal working hours and days after that.

Banks will be closed for the full four days,Tues-Thurs(15/16/17/18th) but ATM's will be operational as will exchange offices as usual.Worth noting however that some ATM's may start to run dry by the end of the second day or into the third day so make sure you draw enough cash if you don't want to pay by credit card all the time.

Public transport will all be running as normal and you can expect it to be busier than usual as local people will be out and about enjoying their holiday.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,120 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eid next week?

moo_soo, All museums will be open at their regular hours during the feast of sacrifice, beginning with the first day of bayram. The ministry of culture made an anouncement for this purpose: "hurriyetdailynews.com/…".

Secondly, during the 4 days of bayram, all public transport will be half price, so they will be more crowded than usual.

Vialand, İce Museum, Miniaturk, and all malls will be open during bayram. The shopping will be in full swing.

Grand Bazaar is closed during the 4 days of bayram.

enigma...

Edited: 12 October 2013, 17:50
Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,391 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eid next week?

I found in the past that Eid was actually a great time to visit Istanbul. Wish I was going with you. If things get to quiet for you in Sultanahmet, just cross the Golden Horn to Taksim. Guaranteed you will find a vibrant city walking up and down Istiklal Street.

Delavan, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,391 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eid next week?

Enigma, sarikanarya, and all the rest who are so helpful to the rest of us through their regular posts:

Kurban Bayramınız kutlar, sevdiklerinizle birlikte saglık, mutluluk ve huzur dolu nice bayramlar dilerim.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eid next week?

Ah how lovely of you,thank you!

6. Re: Eid next week?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2014, 05:17