We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Safety

Hi

Is Istanbul safe for 2 girls to travel alone? Im thinking of going in the winter.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,786 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety

Yes. Probably safer than Ottawa if you take the usual precautions.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
246 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety

Hi!

I'm a solo female traveler and will be in Istanbul in February. This forum is very positive towards solo female travelers! If you search above "female solo traveler" you will get tons of past discussions from ladies who have traveled to Istanbul alone. You have another person with you, so you will be FINE:) The biggest thing I have read about is taxi scams and men approaching you to sell things. Both are not dangerous and totally avoidable with some research on this forum and street smarts!:) Good luck!

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
6 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety

You should have no problem at all as long as you avoid situations that would be dangerous anywhere. You will get attention from men, mostly in the touristy areas wanting to sell you things. Turkish men have that charm you find in most of the Mediterranean countries, very flattering and attentive but outright harassment is pretty rare. I've never found it threatening, or even a major nuisance.

Turkish people in general are very friendly and welcoming and you will have no problem getting assistance when you need it anywhere. I'm told by Turkish friends that this kind of hospitality is in the blood and to violate it is a huge taboo.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety

Istanbul .... actually all of Turkey is pretty safe, and very solo - female - traveler - friendly ... i felt totally at home and actually somewhat cared for in Istanbul ... nevertheless wisdom comes in handy when you are a solo female traveler ...

my biggest safety tip would be to always observe good etiquette and respect the country's traditions

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety

Very wise words from History Woman.Turkey is safe and Turkish people do look out for their guests.Or rather,they look out for those guests who are respectable and respectful.

Practice the same safety precautions you would even in your own home town,be aware at all times of your personal space and your personal belongings and that is enough.There are no extra things you need to worry about,other than how to get all that shopping back home!

6. Re: Safety

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2014, 06:20