We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

parking and car theft in istanbul

Athens
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
parking and car theft in istanbul

I am planning to visit Istanbul with my wife, the last week of July.I am driving my own car from Greece and we are staying in a hotel in Sultanahmet. Does anybody know if parking is easy in that neibourhoud? (hotel does not provide carpark) Does anybody now if there are cases of car theft in Istanbul?

Traffic is no problem for me as I visited Turkey before and I know that there is a problem in the city center. What concerns me is a safe place for the car. Note, it' s not a luxury car.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Best of Istanbul: 1, 2, or 3-Day...
173 Reviews
from US$100.00*
Special Offer
Istanbul Day Tour of Sultanahmet...
1,230 Reviews
from US$72.25*
US$85.00
Special Offer
2-Day Cappadocia Tour with Optional...
53 Reviews
from US$250.75*
US$295.00
NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: parking and car theft in istanbul

Hi Yiannis: parking in Sultanahmet is very difficult as there is very little on street parking. Beware of people who offer to "guard" your car, you might not be able to get it back without a substantial outlay of cash. There is some auto theft. There are one or two car parking lots in Sultanahmet, I don't know what they charge. Driving in Turkey can be challenging but driving in Istanbul is in short a nightmare. I am not exaggerating. A lot of drivers ignore basic rules of the road and traffic signs and signals. The government of Turkey is trying to remedy this by tv and print ads in an effort to improve traffic safety nationwide. You should always have your vehicle registration, insurance policy, and national or international driver's license (or copies) in your car. If there is an accident, you will need all three, as well as your passport . You will also have to carry a first aid kit and warning triangle, mandatory for driving in Turkey. Worrying about your car will certainly put a damper on your trip to Istanbul. But if you feel you must drive then contact your hotel, ask about car parks in the vicinity, and what they cost, they will also tell you where you can or cannot park on street. Have a safe trip. Happy Travel, LemonLady

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,453 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: parking and car theft in istanbul

Yes I know there are several car parking within the acstle walls in Istanbul near Sultanahmet. It is most wise to contact your hotel and see what they advise.

It is not really very expensive to park for a few hours but it might rise for pariking several days.

And then as LemonLady says that area is very difficult to drive around. Istanbul is OK as long you are on the motorway out of the city.

If you are planning to stay for a longer time you might consider to buy

a parking ticket for the airport and leave your car there. It will cost you a bit and the car is very save there.

Or in a shopping mall close to Sultanahmet adn leave the car, take the taxi for your transport in the town.

Another option is maybe Yenikapi, the ferry leaves form here to other places in istanbul and across Marmara Sea, I guess they also have long term parking. Thinking as I am writing this might be the best option as the car is pretty close to Sultanahmet, and it is save.

But best advise is to take the taxi once you are there, you do not really know your way around and I tell you it is a mess sometimes.

have a very nice and relaxed stay!

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
32,976 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: parking and car theft in istanbul

We stayed in Sultanahmet and rented a car for a trip down the Aegean.there is NO parking in the Sultahmet area. The rental car company deliviered the car to our hotel and then picked it up there when we returned. The drive back to our hotel, after leaving the expressway, to deliver the rental car was pure hell. When we were turning a tight corner, a gang of boys pounded on the car, making a dent which we had to pay for.

I like the idea of paying to park your car at the airport. Believe me, it would be worth it. In my opinion you do NOT want to drive in Istanbul, no matter how experienced you are. Public transportation is fine.

Athens
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: parking and car theft in istanbul

I would like to thank you all for answering to my post (wich by mistake I posted three times). Your suggestions are very usefull, I think I ll manage to find a way.I see that lemonlady and villarhapsody u are the heart of this forum and you allways have a usefull information or suggestion to the members who are interester for Istanbul. I ll probably contact u again if I need something else.Thanx again.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,453 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: parking and car theft in istanbul

You are welcome, whenever you have some questions I hope either one of us is able to give a good answer!

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: parking and car theft in istanbul

Hi Again: thanks for your kind words. Villa Rhapsody and I always try to give the best information available. I hope you have a pleasant time in Istanbul and that you don't have problems either with parking the car or in getting around the city. Happy Travel, LemonLady

7. Re: parking and car theft in istanbul

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2009, 09:16