We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top 5 MUST try Istanbul foods

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Top 5 MUST try Istanbul foods

Hi,

Would someone be able to recommend the 5 must eat food when in Istanbul?

And top 3 local food stalls/restaurants near Ebuccuut Cd?

Thanks

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
655 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Top 5 MUST try Istanbul foods

Some of the foods I would recommend trying are: gozleme (a filled savory pastry), Turkish pizza, Sahlep (a hot drink made from sweetened wild orchid root and milk), simit (a delicious bagel like bread), manti (a filled pasta). I am sure that everyone responding will have a slightly different list of delicious suggestions!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Top 5 MUST try Istanbul foods

Foods

Pide, Dolma, Borek

Karniyarik

Balik ekmek

Kebap (Urfa/Adana & Bursa)

Kavurma/Kofte

Sweets

Baklava

Tulumba

Sutlac/Muhallebi/Kazandibi/Keskul

Kunefe/Kadayif

Revani/Irmik tatlisi/Helva

Drinks

Ayran

Visne suyu

Salgam

Cay & Ihlamur cayi

Uludag or fruko gazoz

Soups

Tarhana

Ezogelin

Yayla

Mercimek

Paca

Karachi, Pakistan
Level Contributor
53 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Top 5 MUST try Istanbul foods

Guys we are going to Turkey fist time. Can someone please share places to visit these locations when in Istanbul. Like a special market or areas where we can find these good food stalls etc...

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,567 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Top 5 MUST try Istanbul foods

AsaadNSamia, Have a close look at "istanbuleats.com" and you will see most of the places that you can find these foods. Here is another source: "www.sirkecirestaurants.com".

enigma...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Top 5 MUST try Istanbul foods

AsaadNSamia all of above food can be found all over Istanbul. No where specific in particular.

Sultanahmet, Eminonu, Sirkeci, Taksim, Beyoglu, Galata districts have all of above foods available at local eateries, stalls etc.

People need to eat and locals eat above. Enjoy your trip in Istanbul.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Top 5 MUST try Istanbul foods

It should also be remembered that Istanbul does not really have a special food culture of it's own-many of the dishes suggested originate in other parts of the country.The nearest one can say perhaps is Ottoman cuisine and to try that the leading place in Istanbul is Asitane Restaurant,not cheap but not that expensive for the quality.

www.asitanerestaurant.com/English/index.php

From the sublime to the ridiculous;if you want another street food to try then go up to Taksim for ıslak burger-wet burger :)

http://www.ellerimesaglik.com/tarif/ISLAK+HAMBURGER+resimleri

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,037 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Top 5 MUST try Istanbul foods

Being a foreign citizen of Turkey for 12 years now, having visited loads of restaurants and since my arrival even being a chef on Turkish cuisine İ think İ was still most impressed by Athony Bourdain show on İstanbul foods:

travelchannel.com/tv-shows/…istanbul-1

Personally my list is not only based to food, but also on location and the relation with the staff, so where we keep returning as we visit İstanbul:

in random order!

1 Saray Muhallebesi for the sweets and puddings

2 Yüzevler for fantastic Adana food

3 for Ottoman food to Konyalı (there is one in Topkapı Palace garden and one in Kanyon mall)

4 eating a jacket potato in Ortaköy

5 İ leave that open as we always try to add something new on our list. Recently that were visits to Beylerbey (Asian version of Ortaköy), Bridge restaurant with fantastic views of the Bosphorus bridges AND great food!

Want to visit Ciya and the full lamb cooked in a manhole kind of oven > that is from Bourdain's trip!

Good luck!

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,719 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Top 5 MUST try Istanbul foods

Have to admit that I agree about the Anthony Bourdain programme which I caught on Digiturk. I think it's called "No Reservations" and I immediately thought "Oh no! Not an American trying to eat in Istanbul!" But he must have a pretty good production team...

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Top 5 MUST try Istanbul foods

The best advice is to take a walking tour with Istanbul Eats (www.istanbuleats.com) - this will give you the best insight into the food of the city far more than most tourists ever experience...

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
655 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Top 5 MUST try Istanbul foods

I enjoyed my Sahlep at the cafe at the top of Kiz Kulesi (Maiden's Tower). It was made with real wild orchid root and cost about 10 lira if I remember right. Well worth the price with a fabulous view of European Istanbul from the Asian side.