We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turkey Itinerary

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Turkey Itinerary

Hi guys

So I'm still trying to plan the perfect winter Turkey trip.

Initially I thought I'd spend all the 10 days I have in Istanbul but now I'm wondering if I should visit other cities (Izmir, Kusadasi, Konya etc) There's so much to do in this beautiful country.

I doubt that 10 days will be enough. Should I extend my stay to 2 weeks instead? Any suggestions would be great. Also, what's the best way to travel between the cities? Ferries or plane?

Thanks

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turkey Itinerary

Yes,yes,yes,of course if you are able to do so then extend your time here.There is a huge amount to see and do.

If you can extend it to 2 weeks then you could fly to Cappadocia for 2 or 3 days to see a totally different aspect of Turkey.From there you could then fly to Izmir to visit Ephesus and surrounding area for a day or two thus seeing yet another aspect,each very different from each other and from mega huge Istanbul.

This depends on your available time and your budget but if you can do it-do it :)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Turkey Itinerary

Thanks for the reply Sarikanarya.

I'm thinking more of Bodrum if I do extend my trip but Im still not sure as I'll also be flying to Santorini.

Do you think 10 days in Istanbul is too long?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turkey Itinerary

In truth,no,it really isn't.There is a huge amount to do and see in the city.You can cover all the major must see's at a relaxed pace where others have to rush around them all in just 2-4 days without stopping to draw breathe.In addition you can also fit in lesser visited hidden gems that many visitors never get the chance to visit.

In winter I would not waste my time or money going to Bodrum,it is a summer resort and a great deal around there will be closed up and sleeping :) and for that matter so will Santorini too,are you aware of that?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Turkey Itinerary

I think I'll just stick to Istanbul for the 10 days then. That way I havran excuse to go back & explore the rest of Turkey ;)

When I said winter I meant around April & from what I read thats when both places begin to warm up & plus Im not really looking for a beach vacation :)

Thanks again

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turkey Itinerary

Ah,that is spring :) In which case yes,both Bodrum and Santorini will be nice,not blazing hot and the chance of some showers but mostly very pleasant and without the hoards of tourists either as it is still too early in the season for them.

April in Istanbul is wonderful,the parks will be full of spring flowers starting to open and if you are coming towards the end of April you should be able to see many of the millions of tulips for which the city is so famous!

It is a very popular time for visitors(when isn't these days?) and so you should sort out your hotel booking fairly soon as decent places get booked up quickly.

Troy, New York
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turkey Itinerary

You should make it 15 days if you can..absolutely no problem. You'll get enough variety in Turkey for 15 days. You need 4 days in IStanbul, 3-4 in Cappadocia, a few on the Aegean, more if you want to go to the Mediterranean area. Every area is different.

I too was initially planning to spend 10-12 days but I realized it's just not enough..and no regrets at all. For some ideas you could have a look at: …wordpress.com/my-solo-turkey-trip/

Edited: 05 November 2013, 14:32
7. Re: Turkey Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 November 2014, 05:17