We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brief Trip and Brief Report!

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
20 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Brief Trip and Brief Report!

Traveled to Turkey in September for an all too brief, mother-daughter adventure week where we had four days in Istanbul and three in Cappadocia. The trip was amazing from the people, to the food, to the history, to the architecture...did I mention the food? We went to see the "main" attractions, thoroughly enjoyed the trams and ferries and did a fair amount of wandering where our feet took us. We left the hotel (Rast) around 8 each morning and returned by midnight and never felt unsafe. We were fortunate to be in Istanbul during the World Culture Festival that filled Sultanahmet square with music, dancing and cultural exhibits well into the evening. Some of our favorite experiences: visiting Mihrimah and Suleymaniye Mosques and finding ourselves alone; visiting Rustem Pasa Mosque and finding ourselves to be the only tourists there and having a group of young Turkish girls strike up a conversation with us (some english, some turkish, some french - I'm not sure what we talked about but it was magical and memorable); getting "lost" several times and finding the neighborhoods where people live; getting on the Golden Horn ferry at Eminonu on a perfect September day and going to Uskedar and then to Eyup without getting off, drinking tea and watching the ebb and flow of commuters going about their daily lives; escaping the heat and crowds of the Spice Bazaar area for a long lunch on the top floor of Hamdi Restaurant; the generosity and kindness of the people we met and their tolerance of my pathetic attempts at speaking Turkish; the haunting call to prayer repeating like a round across the city; watching the most beautiful sunrise over the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia; many, many glasses of tea; eating every kind of kebab plus borek, lamacun, pide, mezes, gozleme, simit, peynir etc. Our catchphrase for this trip was "nothing tastes like what I expected", and that was just perfect.

A few of the 3000 pictures I took.

flickr.com/photos/…

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
655 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brief Trip and Brief Report!

Loved reading your trip report and seeing your beautiful photos! Thank you for sharing.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,131 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brief Trip and Brief Report!

fishbera2011, Thanks for a wonderful trip report. Very evocative. I am glad you and your daughter liked it very much. You have the Istanbul bug now. Come back soon.

enigma...

Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
327 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brief Trip and Brief Report!

A brief but very beautiful report and pictures, one can sense how happy you were in Istanbul.

I think you have to add it to the sticky thread on this forum.

Maryland
Level Contributor
518 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brief Trip and Brief Report!

Lovely pictures and trip report, thanks! And yes, we all want to go back...:)

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
174 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brief Trip and Brief Report!

You really are a great photographer -- I starred a few photos because they're so beautiful. I love how many of them are composed, such as the close-ups of details in the mosques or the panoramas of the skyline. Stunning. I really enjoy taking photos but mine aren't half as interesting as yours! Glad you had such a great trip!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brief Trip and Brief Report!

Hi fishbera2011, what a nice and quick report that hits the mark. Looks like you 2 had a great time. Well done.

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
20 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brief Trip and Brief Report!

Thank you all for your kind words. I realized with horror that I completely forgot to start by thanking all of the people, especially the DEs, that post to this forum, which I haunted for months. I know we wouldn't have had such a memorable trip without all of the advice and tips and the descriptions of how to get places. For example, I never would have found the Golden Horn ferry dock at Eminonu (my daughter kept saying "Mom, I don't think this is right) without the forum and would have missed a highlight of the trip. Thank you again and may we all return to Turkey as soon as possible!

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,290 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Brief Trip and Brief Report!

Just a truly great TR, and wonderful photos. Many thanks.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,168 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Brief Trip and Brief Report!

Thank you very much for this trip report and the wonderful photos.

It seems that you have got the Istanbul/Turkey bug :-))

10. Re: Brief Trip and Brief Report!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2014, 05:17