We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Istanbul trip in December

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Istanbul trip in December

Hello,

My husband and I are going to Istanbul from December 17 to December 23. We were thinking of going to Cappadocia as well for 2 days. Is it worth it? If we are going to Cappadocia, we'll spend 3 and half days in Istanbul, is it enough?

Thank you for your advice

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Istanbul trip in December

Hi kalyis,

Cappadocia is a gorgeous place with "so-out-of-this-world" natural beauty and cave settlements date back to the early times of the Christianity. Most of the things to do and places to see are outdoor. The area is very cold and mostly snowy in December and this may lessen the enjoyment you could get out your time spent there if your cold tolerance is not very high.

So I'd suggest you stick to Istanbul in your entire vacation time and enjoy this beautiful city to the fullest.

Hope this helps,

Borus

Edited: 16 November 2013, 16:07
Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,103 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Istanbul trip in December

Hi kalyis, I think Borus has given you practical advice. Cappadocia is beautiful under a mantle of snow, but it is very cold. I expect, that unless you enjoy winter weather and have the appropriate clothing for such a trip, you would be uncomfortable.

Temperature tolerance is a very personal issue. I would enjoy Cappadocia in the winter, and my husband would hate it.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Istanbul trip in December

Thank you both for your advice. We do not really like snow and low temperatures so I think we are going to stay in Istanbul and enjoy the city. We'll go to Cappodocia another time.

I look forward to discovering Istanbul!

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,103 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Istanbul trip in December

A very wise choice. My favorite season to visit Cappadocia is late fall. The huge numbers of tourists have diminished. The weather is still mild. You will enjoy Istanbul, but you must return to enjoy Cappadocia.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Istanbul trip in December

Since we won't be going to Cappadocia, would anyone have a suggestion for a day trip from Istanbul? Something not too cold since it'll be December.

Thank you again for your adv ice.

Edited: 17 November 2013, 16:33
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Istanbul trip in December

Hello again kalyis,

Although there are lots of paces around Istanbul that you can go to for a day trip, your options are limited to just a few during winter.

Here are my suggestions I am sure you'd like to do:

1. Lake Abant and Aban Natural Park: 2 hours from Istanbul. Beautiful sceneries, blessed with natural beauty, ideal for trekking. Do visit Abant Lake House and have a glass of hot wine in front of the fire place. For more information on Abant: mymerhaba.com/Abant-Lake-in-Turkey-970.html

2. Agva: A fishermen's town on Black Sea. A weekend place for the Istanbullers mostly during spring and summer. I also like it there in winters. There are very nice cottage hotels on the river bank. You can have a nice fish lunch, take a walk around the bay, watch the fishermen coming back to harbor. Check out this link for more information on Agva: http://exploreagva.com/en

Hope this helps,

Borus

7. Re: Istanbul trip in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2014, 05:18