We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping in Istanbul

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Aberdeen, New Jersey
Level Contributor
4 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping in Istanbul

I understand that tipping in Istanbul is expected but on a much more modest scale compared to that in the USA.

I read that people typically don't tip taxis and that rounding up would be sufficient. Our hotel is giving us a free airport transfer so we're wondering, what would be an acceptable tip to give the driver for this free service? Also, if we're staying at a mid range hotel, what should we give the hotel staff at the end of the stay per night if the service is satisfactory? I'm assuming we would just give the total tip to whoever is at the front desk when we leave and hope that they distribute it?? Thanks

Huntington, New York
Level Contributor
99 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping in Istanbul

Just my opinion but I always leave the tip for the cleaning staff in the room for when they clean it. At least you know it's definitely going to the people cleaning the room

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,256 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping in Istanbul

Locals often round up while most tourists tip (occasionally, too generously). If you leave a couple lira each morning for the women who clean your room, it'll be an unexpected surprise. IMO, it's a kind gesture on your part. If staff at the front desk staff assist by making plane reservations or hotel reservations for you, suggest a great place to eat, offer helpful advise/suggestions during your stay, leave a tip. But I would not leave a tip for everyone with front desk staff.

Some hotels have a place for guests to leave a tip which is shared between the front desk, breakfast service staff, and housekeeping. Which ever way works best for you. I like to tip (or not tip) individuals for making my stay a nice one. For taxis, just round up. I would give a 2-5 lira to the shuttle driver depending on the number of bags and the weight.

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping in Istanbul

It's only necessary to tip if you feel you've had a special service, and it's nice if you can make sure it goes to the right person (as mentioned above; the room cleaner, for example). It's most normal to pay for meals etc by debit card now, but a few coins left on the table in a lokanta/bar/cafe may be welcome.

Taxis do not expect a tip. The other day I got a taxi from outside the Pera Palas Hotel to the airport. The meter read 41 TL, but the driver only took 40 TL.

<<Mind you, I had given him advice about his kids' Math education during the ride. However, it does upset me that "a tourist's" experience of Istanbul taxi drivers is often so negatively different from mine. For example, friends recently hailed a cab TO the Pera Palace Hotel: the driver immediately assumed that money was no object for them. So I shall stop using it as a meeting place.>>

4. Re: Tipping in Istanbul

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2014, 06:16