We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Istanbul and a beach resort - again

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
cape town
Level Contributor
253 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Istanbul and a beach resort - again

Hi all,

Our group of 6 females (late 30's) has settled on our Turkish getaway roundabout 18-30 Sept 2014.

We'll do about 5 days in Istanbul in a rented apartment.

Now, I know that this question has been asked many time before... We would like to spend the balance of our trip at a beach resort on the coast. I understand that none are within 5-hour driving distance (this would be our limit of endurance on the road), and that we would have to take a short domestic flight. The beach options are so numerous that I am baffled at this point!

Off-hand, which would fit the bill?

1. Hotel on a beach-with own private beach-we could go a bit luxe here as we're doing DIY in Istanbul

2. Easy, walking access to markets, town, restaurants, cafes, bars and some night life

3. A good mix of easy leisure activities including boat day trips / mud baths / sight seeing

4. Sandy, not pebble beach

As we have not travelled together before, I would like to ensure that there is a bit of something for everyone-and that its easy enough to break away and go shopping when some may prefer an afternoon nap!!

I would also have preferred to avoid an internal flight because of logistics involved in travelling in a group and cost of airport transfers, etc.... and of course the added expense

Many thanks

Linsy

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,138 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Istanbul and a beach resort - again

Hi Linsy, I am a little confused. Early in your post you indicate that you understand that to reach beaches you will have to take a domestic flight. At the conclusion of your post you say that you wish to avoid an internal flight. Are you willing to fly one of the inexpensive domestic airlines in Turkey to reach a beach destination? You will either have to take an internal flight in Turkey, or a long bus ride, or restrict your beach choices to the Black Sea.

cape town
Level Contributor
253 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Istanbul and a beach resort - again

Apologies-didn't mean to confuse!! From what I've read I think a flight is a necessity and that the Black sea resorts won't suit our needs. Warm water and safe swimming are imperative:-)

cape town
Level Contributor
253 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Istanbul and a beach resort - again

Oh, and any thoughts on private villa rentals?

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,570 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Istanbul and a beach resort - again

Linsy, private villa rentals are highly recommended. Here are some private villas at Kas, Antalya: "https:/…".

enigma...

cape town
Level Contributor
253 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Istanbul and a beach resort - again

Thank you!! So Antalya fits the bill for our beach break?

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,570 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Istanbul and a beach resort - again

If you are looking for pure sandy beaches, only two places at the Turkish Med coast will fit the bill. Side and Patara. You can have a beach vacation in any of these towns. Side is east of Antalya and Patara is west of Antalya. Side has more developed in terms of hotels and Patara has small boutique hotels. See their reviews "tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g298657-Patara_Turkis…", and "tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g297968-Side_Turkish_…". If you want a vacation with shopping, bars and good restaurants, it is Side otherwise if you want a quiet rural beach vacation, it is Patara. Bothe places have magnificent historic ruins.

enigma...

cape town
Level Contributor
253 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Istanbul and a beach resort - again

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction Enigma!! Much appreciated!

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,809 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Istanbul and a beach resort - again

plenty of great beaches on the med.

www.turkeytravelplanner.com/special/beach/

bestbeachesinturkey.com/best-beaches-in-anta…

telegraph.co.uk/travel/bestbeaches/7634792/B…

a few places come to mind...perhaps Dalyan, Cirali, Patara and Side just to mention a few.

many beaches in Turkey are shingle beaches with mixes of sand and pebbles. There are only a few real sandy beaches..like Patara, Lara beach, Belek and Side..but for beautiful scenery and clear beaches many shingle beaches are better in my opinion.

some of the best beaches are from Antalya - Fethiye

worldreviewer.com/info/best-beach-turkey.html

tripguideturkey.com/the-5-best-beaches-in-tu…

many factors will determine which resort you wish to visit first being which airport to fly into. Dalaman, Antalya, or Bodrum

If you are looking for a small resort you could look at Cirali as a quiet alternative....stunning beach, lush forests..an idyllic, concrete-free paradise, and sparkling clear seas. The Cirali Beach is also a rare opportunity to visit one of the Med’s few remaining nesting sites for loggerhead turtles.

roughguides.com/destinations/…

for private villa rentals you can look at Side, Belek, Alanya, Adrasan and Dalyan

cape town
Level Contributor
253 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Istanbul and a beach resort - again

Thank you-I am exploring Side right now:-)

10. Re: Istanbul and a beach resort - again

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2014, 05:17