We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going 1st December

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Going 1st December

I'm going with my wife for 1st time to istanbul on dec 7 for about 4 nights.

I was wondering if I should save my money on travel guides and just get a book like Rick steves guide ?

Some of these tour guides want 70-90 euros per person to go around sultanahmed sites. I just can't justify it when I will be staying right there.

Are there any tours that are sort of take you further, maybe bhosphorus or further that are worth the money ? Any tour guide recommendations ?

I'm about 50% confident travelling alone in a taxi. Which I would need when travelling to eyup mosque and piere Loti

Istanbul
Level Contributor
2,150 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going 1st December

In my opinion you don't need a private guide unless you are very rushed for time, very old or nervous or really want someone to explain the history of places. There are some tours which are worth going on, such as food tours, or tours that take you to places that would be hard to get to alone, but I don't think anyone needs a guide for Sultanahmet. The sites are close together and easily accessible.

You can take a ferry to Eyup, it's a much nicer way to travel than by taxi.

Karachi, Pakistan
Level Contributor
53 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going 1st December

I and my wife are also planning to visit Turkey for the first time in 1 week of Dec. I have done extensive research and feel that if u are staying in Istanbul only then 4 days would be ideal for Istanbul only. If u want to shop and see sights then staying in Sultanahmet will be ideal. Almost all major locations are at walking distance or can be reached easily by Tram system. You can also take a tour which will cover all major locations in a day but it only advisable if u don't have enough time. Hope this helps.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
750 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going 1st December

I always take a look at the walking tours on Frommers website.

www.frommers.com/destinations/istanbul/706194

I don't know how good they are for Istanbul but I have found them a good starting place for other cities.

Istanbul
Level Contributor
2,150 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going 1st December

Those walking tours look great. There are places on there I've not been to despite all my years exploring the city. Thanks for the link. I'll try some of the walks out.

Grand Cayman
Level Contributor
42 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going 1st December

We've just spent a few days in Istanbul and had 2 organized day tours plus a couple of days where we just wandered on our own (Sultanahmet area). I would say that you're fine to do it on your own, but if you want more info on the sites that you're seeing then you should hire a guide/take a tour. The audio tours are quite expensive to hire, I think they were usually at least 10 euro/set. And once you factor in the transportation costs, it may not be that much cheaper to do it on your own.

We're on a longer Turkey tour so our Istanbul tours were part of the larger package. Our first day was with a larger tour company but our second day was just us and a guide, who was fantastic. If you're interested, I can let you know the name of our tour company in Istanbul and they can probably give you a quote for day tours.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,146 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going 1st December

Buy a good guidebook. Do some reading at home before you come. That way you will be prepared for what you are going to see, and it always increases my level of excitement to study the things I am going to be doing. No one needs a guide to enjoy everything that Istanbul has to offer. Public transportation is fantastic so you do not need a guided tour to get you anyplace you cannot get to on your own.

I hate to be herded about like an animal in a herd of tourists, but I also hate paying 150Euros to a private guide who used the same information available to me when I am quite capable of discovering the information on my own.

If you simply cannot or will not prepare yourself, hire a guide at each sight that you visit. You will find them at the entrance gate with their license on a lanyard around their necks. This is a much less expensive strategy than hiring a guide for the entire day.

Istanbul is absolutely one of the easiest DIY cities in the world.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Going 1st December

Thanks for the wealth of information.

I booked Hotel Tashkhonak in Sultanahmed district so I'm close to everything.

I also went and bought Rick Steves guide to Istanbul. Now I have a week to read everything and digest it all.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Going 1st December

Thanks for the wealth of information.

I booked Hotel Tashkhonak in Sultanahmed district so I'm close to everything.

I also went and bought Rick Steves guide to Istanbul. Now I have a week to read everything and digest it all.

9. Re: Going 1st December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2014, 05:16