We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips for Getting Seat Assignments Turkish Airlines

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
6,024 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Tips for Getting Seat Assignments Turkish Airlines

Have two domestic flights booked and can't figure out how to get seat assignments.

Thanks.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
246 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips for Getting Seat Assignments Turkish Airlines

Call their US number 18008748875 within 100 days of departure. I had to call for seat assignments. I usually go on seat guru and look up whatever aircraft is operating for that flight and look at the seating selections. Good luck!

Edited: 02 December 2013, 02:26
Istanbul, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
3,987 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips for Getting Seat Assignments Turkish Airlines

Hi,

Seat assignment is a part of online check-in process and online check-in is available prior 24 HOURS of your flight. You can print your boarding pass or send it to your smart phone.

Follow link: https://www4.thy.com/onlinecheckin/start.tk…

Alper

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
246 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips for Getting Seat Assignments Turkish Airlines

@Alpher I did my seat assignments within 100 days of departure (no sooner) because the seat maps weren't available online. Maybe it's because I booked an international flight.... @Luggageinhand it wouldn't hurt to call so you can have first dibs on seats if they let you choose them early:)

Istanbul
Level Contributor
617 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips for Getting Seat Assignments Turkish Airlines

The 100 days out rule for seat selection is for "long-haul" flights. Last week, I was able to choose seats for the ORD-IST route but not for the IST-KTM route. I am TK Elite; seat selection should be more open and transparent.

Texarkana, Texas
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips for Getting Seat Assignments Turkish Airlines

Just called the 800 number and got the seat I was hoping for on the Houston to IST leg of my flight for February 26. Can't get the IST - Mumbai leg seat till after February 20. At least I won't be in a middle seat for a 12 hour flight.

Friendly service on the other end - just a few second time delay in talking.

Make sure you have your reservation code handy. I didn't. All I had in front of me was my e-ticket number. But they looked it up for me very quickly. Service was great.

Istanbul
Level Contributor
2,198 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tips for Getting Seat Assignments Turkish Airlines

I never pre book seats, I just get to the airport on time and ask politely when checking in. Have never had an issue.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
28,458 posts
537 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tips for Getting Seat Assignments Turkish Airlines

You have to call them 90 days before the flight and they give you your seat assignments.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tips for Getting Seat Assignments Turkish Airlines

Is a seat assignment something like a study assignment we used to do at school...

What happened to going to the airport, lining up like most other people and getting given a seat and then sitting on it and enjoying your flight.

Yesterday I booked and paid for 4 flights back and forth in Turkey for 5 people for later this month and January on Turkish Airlines, Sunxpress, Anadolu Jet & Pegasus and didn't pay any extra to get a particular seat.

If you have your ticket then your guaranteed of flying and won't be left behind.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
28,458 posts
537 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tips for Getting Seat Assignments Turkish Airlines

Honestly the whole reason I go for a seat assignment now is so that if the airline overbooked I am more likely not to get bumped since I would already have a seat assignment. It is also why I prefer to check in online as well because of that issue.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tips for Getting Seat Assignments Turkish Airlines

Checking in online is fair enough it makes sense cause you avoid the longer queue by being processed in the shorter one.

If a person has a valid ticket for a particular flight whether one has a seat assigned to them or not I doubt any airline in Turkey or anywhere else for that matter will be able to bump you off.

Everything is automatic nowadays in the airline industry and if an airline oversold the allocated seats on a flight then the media will have a field day with them and they will be left with an egg on their face.