We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about Customs in Airport

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Troy, New York...
Level Contributor
17 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Question about Customs in Airport

Hi So Im planning to travel to turkey in May 2014 and leaving from JFK. This will be my first international trip and so I have no idea about airport customs and what I can bring with me to turkey and what kinds of items are prohibited from leaving turkey? My friend told me that once I land in turkey before getting off the airport they hand you a paper and you have to claim all your money? can anyone help me knowing what to expect when I arrive at the turkish aiport (Attaturk)

Istanbul
Level Contributor
615 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about Customs in Airport

Adilah A, Upon deplaning you will need to pass immigration (passport control). As a US National you will need to have a visa costing $20, which in May 2014 but be gotten online as an evisa. After passing immigration, you will proceed to baggage retrieval, claim your luggage (carts are available) then exit to the arrival hall. No need to declare currency and no need to declare luggage at customs if you are traveling as a tourist with usual tourist items in your luggage. Very simple. On leaving, do not attempt to take out anything considered to be an antiquity and do not have any liquids greater then 100ml in your hand luggage (any liquids greater than 100ml need to go in your checked bags. Good luck!

Edited: 30 December 2013, 17:20
Izmir, Turkey
Level Contributor
37 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about Customs in Airport

Congrats on your first trip abroad! I've flown from the U.S. to Attaturk airport 3 times and never had to declare anything. You will of course need your passport, and Turkey will also require you to have a visa. You can get one at the airport for $20 or buy one in advance online. I did the online method last time, and it worked really well (plus it saves you standing in another line at the airport). You can get it here: https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Coming back from any international destination, the U.S. requires a customs form to be filled out (i think that's the piece of paper your friend was talking about). They ask that you state agricultural items or items of value up to a certain amount. It's basic stuff though, and nothing too serious. They basically just want to make sure you're just bringing in normal touristic items (souvenirs, clothes, etc.).

if you're worried about anything specific, I would just look it up online before bringing it back. For example, fresh produce isn't permitted, and I think you can only bring a specific amount of alcohol. Here is a link that gives you a few ideas: turkey.usembassy.gov/prohibited_items.html.

Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about Customs in Airport

We just went from JFK to Istanbul, and basically just had our passport stamped and walked out. We got our visas online and nobody asked to see them.

I'm assuming the return will be similar to our other European trips. Sometimes they let everything through, sometimes not. We were very disappointed when customs decided they wanted a snack and confiscated our salami and sausages from a Berlin deli...

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,122 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about Customs in Airport

There is no Customs area at Ataturk not do I think there is in any other international airport in Turkey. I probably would not bring fresh fruits or many bottles of alcohol, but no one at the airport has ever been interested in what I had in my suitcases. I am very careful to carry all my prescription medication in the original bottles just in case there is some issue.

When we returned to the US last month we were not required to complete a customs form on the plane. People without US passports did have to complete that form. I do not know if this is now standard for every US airport servicing international flights, but at JFK there is no longer any form. If you have something to declare you just do so verbally as you walk through the customs area. It is so much easier to return to the US than it used to be.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
124 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about Customs in Airport

Busy-retired wrote: "When we returned to the US last month we were not required to complete a customs form on the plane. People without US passports did have to complete that form. I do not know if this is now standard for every US airport servicing international flights, but at JFK there is no longer any form. If you have something to declare you just do so verbally as you walk through the customs area. It is so much easier to return to the US than it used to be."

Yes and I would encourage all US travelers who do international travel fairly often to apply for Global Entry from our CBP. It does cost $100 but in my case my AMEX Platinum account paid the fee, other cards may as well. The nice thing is you use electronic kiosks when you return and usually don't have much of a line like the regular lines that can be long when several flights land at one time. Additionally Global Entry will fast lane you in some other countries such as Australia. And additionally it helps you qualify for the TSA precheck here which moves faster then regular TSA security with perks like not taking off shoes or removing a laptop or bag of liquids. Well worth it indeed!

Edited: 01 January 2014, 12:38
Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,122 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about Customs in Airport

I agree that the Global Entry program is great for people who make lots of international flights. Thus far, however, it provides me no unique benefits I do not receive as a result of my elite status or the courtesies offered in foreign countries for people with disabilities.

Generally when we print our boarding passes they assign us to TSA pre-check, but even when you are in the pool of eligible flyers, there is no guarantee that you will always have TSA pre-check. TSA still utilizes a random factor to assign passengers to TSA pre-check.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about Customs in Airport

<<and Turkey will also require you to have a visa. You can get one at the airport for $20 or buy one in advance online>>

In May 2014 it will no longer be possible to get the visa on arrival at the airport - it must be done in advance online

Vermont
Level Contributor
41 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question about Customs in Airport

I'm slightly confused (according to my partner, my steady-state). It is noted that there is no customs at Attaturk but that alcohol is prohibited. Can someone confirm whether I can bring alcohol, bought at Amsterdam duty free, into Turkey through Attaturk. Thank you!

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,266 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question about Customs in Airport

April 10, 2014 is the last day for issuance of visas-on-arrival. After that day, people need to have an evisa obtained online in advance or a visa obtained from the Turkish consulates and embassies in their countries of residence. Of course citizens of certain countries are also exempt from visas.

enigma...

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,266 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question about Customs in Airport

maryfrancisvermont, You sure can bring the alcohol you bought at the duty free shop. For limits on what you can bring in with you, have a look at the post No. 7 by "giritline" at the following thread. "tripadvisor.com/…42633479".

good luck,

enigma...