We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying Lufthansa

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
123 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Flying Lufthansa

Hi,

I'm debating on whether to book my flight Miami-Istanbul (from May 3rd to the 12th) now or keep waiting a few more weeks and see if prices go down.. As of right now I can get RT for about $985 and with just 1 stop (in Frankfurt) flying Lufthansa. Since I have pretty much zero experience traveling (not to mention making such a long trip by myself) I would appreciate your advice as far as this price goes (is it a good deal? should I book now?) and the airline (is Lufthansa recommendable?)..

Thank you so much!

Istanbul
Level Contributor
615 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying Lufthansa

ElizaMG, I do not expect prices to drop for travel in May, as many prices change as of 15April yearly. There is a Turkish Airlines nonstop fare from NYC (JFK) to Istanbul departing on 3 May and returning on the 12th for $689; so if you can get from MIA to NYC for less than $296 you may want to consider the Turkish Airlines non-stop from New York. In any case, Lufthansa is a good airline as is Turkish. I see AA (American Airlines) flying between MIA and JFK on those same dates for $248 saving you about $50 over the Lufthansa flight from MIA-FRA-IST. Maybe JetBlue or Southwest can offer you an even cheaper fare between MIA and JFK. Also, you may want to check fares from Ft. Lauderdale or West Palm Beach to NYC that may be even cheaper. Good luck and ask for any additional airfare questions.

Istanbul
Level Contributor
615 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying Lufthansa

Addendum: FLL to NYC does not really save you much over leaving from MIA, on the other hand, West Palm Beach to NYC can be had on Jet Blue for $212 R/T saving you additional money if PBI is not inconvenient for you, Once again, good luck in whatever choices you make, and enjoy Istanbul/Turkey.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
35,674 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying Lufthansa

Eliza, I would prefer the Turkish Airlines non stop services from NYC, Toronto or Washington DC (Dulles). So check the Turkish Airlines first. "http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-tr/". Then you can get some good connections domestically to those cities from Miami.

On the other hand Lufthansa is also a good airline. No problems with that airline. Prices for both airlines will go up as time goes by so I recommend that you book ASAP.

enigma...

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying Lufthansa

Hi Eliza,

Both Lufthansa and Turkish Airlines are a four-star airlines.

www.airlinequality.com/StarRanking/4star.htm

and both of them offer very decent experience. However when taking into consideration the connection possibilities from MIA to IST, I would go with Turkish Airlines which has direct flights from MIA to IST.

Hope this helps,

Borus

Edited: 31 December 2013, 08:16
Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
425 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying Lufthansa

I fly with Lufthansa all the time but in Europe (through Frankfurt). Now in January I will fly to Istanbul second time with Lufthansa. I think it's a good airline and they have good service. Ofcourse....if you buy tickets with the lowest price than make sure you have travelinsurance - you wont get almost no money back if you have to cancel and changes are also expencive. (I think the same goes with Turkish airlines as I have looked their prices also form Tallinn to Istanbul).

Lufthansa ticket prices are changing and not only going up. At least in Europe. I'm not sure how it is flying from US, because I dont know their "lowest price" for that route. In Europe I know that from Tallinn to Istanbul 209EUR is the lowest price you can get and paying ower 280 is already too much. (unless someone really has specific dates).

My friend once booked tickets to some small city in France and got a price from Tallinn about 280EUR (It was a good price - one month ahead and specific dates he needed to be there). Two days later same route was 239 EUR. So you never know :)

I would recommend you to fly with Lufthansa if you are not able to find better price. KLM also flies from Miami to Istanbul, (Delta in US an KLM in Europe) but I think they have 2 stops, One in US and one in Amsterdam.

Edited: 31 December 2013, 09:59
Istanbul
Level Contributor
615 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying Lufthansa

Borus, the TK direct flights from MIA-IST have stopped at least one year ago. Current destinations from N. America include, JFK, IAD, IAH, LAX and Toronto. Boston service will start in May 2104, as well as talk of new service from SFO and perhaps Montreal.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
35,674 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying Lufthansa

cagcag, No more talk of but a firm start. :-)) Turkish Airlines is starting the Montreal - Istanbul non stop service on June 3rd, 2014. "turkishairlines.com/en-int/corporate/news/ne…".

enigma...

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
123 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying Lufthansa

Big thanks to you all!

To be completely honest this is the first trip/flight that I'll be taking all by myself (I'm 21 years old and last time I traveled was to Cuba about 5 years ago) I don't think I'm scared of flying, although the longest I've been on an airplane was 45 min (Miami-Havana flight) lol .. so I guess I don't really know how well I'll be handling a 13hr+ flight..

I was very interested in flying non-stop of course, but I soon realized there weren't any of those flying my route. Leaving from Ft. Lauderdle or West Palm Beach isn't really convenient for me neither. That's why the Lufthansa flight (even with 1 stop) seemed like a good option. I'm hoping I won't have to check bags or anything like that upon arrival in Frankfurt.. I've been skeptical about flying Miami-New York (for example) because of my lack of experience, I'm trying to avoid having to check bags twice and change airlines and going through a more "complicated" process..

I don't know if my fears make any sense though lol In any case, I much appreciate your advice guys :)

Istanbul
Level Contributor
615 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying Lufthansa

ElizaMG, Lufthansa is a very good airline--don't worry about their service. Make sure that your luggage is checked through to IST when checking in in MIA. Get boarding passes for both the MIA-FRA as well as the FRA-IST flight while checking in in MIA. And, relax, it is not difficult. Sit back and enjoy the service and ne happy when you arrive in IST.

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,600 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying Lufthansa

You've had good advice here, and I agree that transiting in Frankfurt would be more agreeable than New York, where you might have to gather bags and transfer to another of the ?9 terminals. MIA to IST with Lufthansa sounds best - just be sure they label your luggage thru to IST.

As an Englishman I'd like to suggest you go with BA to London, stay a while, then go on to IST, but never mind. Another time, perhaps.

As I recall, Frankfurt airport shows very clear signs for transit passengers; as soon as you step off your plane you should see indicators for your onward flight.]