We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walls of Constantinople and Theodosian Walls

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
25,220 posts
523 reviews
Save Topic
Walls of Constantinople and Theodosian Walls

I am looking at some sites to see when I get to Istanbul, but on the map I have which is a Borch Map 5th edition year 2013, I see things like Constantine's Obelisk and Constantine's Column, but do not see the attraction listed below.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g293974-d2…

However I see on the map Theosodian Walls which appear to be a bit of distance from where those other attractions are. My question is where are the Walls of Constantinople located or are they the same as the Theodosian Walls?

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,567 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walls of Constantinople and Theodosian Walls

jordansbulls, Thodosian Walls and the Walls of Constatntinople are the same. They surround the Old City. Basically the Blue Line at the following map indicates where you can find those walls: "http://goo.gl/maps/vXBuo". If you want to see just one point, then I suggest the Yedikule Walls or Tekfur Sarayı walls between Ayvansaray and Edirnekapi (Chora Church Area).

enigma...

Edited: 01 January 2014, 06:56
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walls of Constantinople and Theodosian Walls

todayszaman.com/news-298033-walking-istanbul…

todayszaman.com/news-296507-walking-istanbul…

These links are for a two part article about walking the walls with excellent details and directions.They are written by well known walker and author Terry Richardson who is also co author of Rough Guide.

If you don't want to walk,or don't have time to walk,the whole lot this may help you to pick out which parts would most interest you.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
25,220 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walls of Constantinople and Theodosian Walls

Thanks excellent!!! I had a feeling they were the same, just wanted to make sure.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
25,220 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walls of Constantinople and Theodosian Walls

Looks like to get to Edirnekapi I need to take T4. I guess it is practical to take the T1 to Topkapi and then switch to T4 to Edirnekapi.

Also I do see a stop at T1 at PAZARTEKKE that says Teodos Suru so I am not sure if I get a good glimpse of the walls there as well or not.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,567 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walls of Constantinople and Theodosian Walls

jordansbulls, You will see the walls very well both at Edirnekapi and Topkapi. No problem. By the way while you are at Topkapi, why not visit Merkezefendi or "Hollywood in Turkey": "tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k4031…".

enigma...

Istanbul
Level Contributor
2,045 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walls of Constantinople and Theodosian Walls

Last weekend I did this walk: www.frommers.com/destinations/istanbul/706196

We really enjoyed it, although walking on top of the walls was rather treacherous in parts. Also, the dungeons are inaccessible at the moment.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
25,220 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walls of Constantinople and Theodosian Walls

So is the main entrance at Edirnekapi or Topkapi or somewhere else?

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,567 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walls of Constantinople and Theodosian Walls

jordansbulls, The following are all gates of the Western Walls of Istanbul. "http://goo.gl/maps/uVvBv".

enigma...

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
25,220 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walls of Constantinople and Theodosian Walls

Thanks enigma2007

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
292 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walls of Constantinople and Theodosian Walls

Looking at enigma's excellent map, I wonder if it's possible and practical to walk from Eyup Mosque to Chora Church by walking down Yavedut Cad, then walking down Savaklar Cad. If those streets are okay for pedestrians, that seems like a relatively simple and straightforward way to get down very near to Chora.

I know I am off topic here, and I apologize for that, but appreciate any insight.