We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No fireworks in Istanbul on Newy Year Night 2014 :(

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
No fireworks in Istanbul on Newy Year Night 2014 :(

I went to a nice spot near Uskudar and kept waiting for new year fireworks on the Bosphorous Bridge..but no fireworks this year..WHY?

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
35,979 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No fireworks in Istanbul on Newy Year Night 2014 :(

AlphaCentaur, The fireworks over the Bosphorus Bridge are done on October 29, the Republic Day (Equivalent of 4th of July in US). "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us80I_66BKc". However I agree with you that the municipality should have done these fireworks again at new years, because new years celebrations are universal.

enigma...

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,103 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No fireworks in Istanbul on Newy Year Night 2014 :(

There are half a dozen You Tube videos of what is labeled as NYE 2013-14. Since they all have been posted in the last few hours I assume they are timely and authentic.

I cannot imagine why you could not see them from where you were. Traditionally I believe they are launched near Ortakoy and the first Bosphorus Bridge. I watched about 30 minutes of various videos and the fireworks seemed to be very large and quite high. If you were able to see the bridge from where you were standing I cannot understand why you missed the fireworks.

Of course I am not positive that this was the location for the fireworks this year. I read a tiny little sentence fragment that seemed to make reference to a new location on a new "straight", but I could not find the entire article.

I know it is not the same, but if you have access to the Internet you can watch the fireworks on You Tube.

4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No fireworks in Istanbul on Newy Year Night 2014 :(

the videos showing fireworks 2014 are fake ... i was there from 10 PM to 1 AM near the bridge waiting for fireworks ...

4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No fireworks in Istanbul on Newy Year Night 2014 :(

@enigma ... you are right ... new year celebrations are universal ... i dont know what happened ..

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
35,979 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No fireworks in Istanbul on Newy Year Night 2014 :(

AlphaCentaur, Don't worry, we all know what happened and what's happening.

enigma...

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,548 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No fireworks in Istanbul on Newy Year Night 2014 :(

There were fireworks in Nişantaşı...but don't tell RTE!

4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No fireworks in Istanbul on Newy Year Night 2014 :(

@enigma ... but its not good ..

Istanbul
Level Contributor
615 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No fireworks in Istanbul on Newy Year Night 2014 :(

Unfortunately, there are many "conservative" Islamists, especially in the AKP who maintain that New Years Eve/Day are "Christian" Holidays and as such should not be celebrated in Turkey. Sacmalik. When, upon the founding of the Republic, the "non-Muslim" calendar was adopted, it was part of a series of "Western" adoptions, such as the forcing of using a surname, elimination of the fes, and adoption of the "Western" style dress of a jacket and tie. This is not the forum for such political discussions, but can help to explain the absence of fireworks on New Years Eve. Enjoy Istanbul and Turkey in spite of the actions of the AKP.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: No fireworks in Istanbul on Newy Year Night 2014 :(

Cagcag, I think, nowadays, AKP is not in the mood to celebrate anything let alone the NYE.

Edited: 01 January 2014, 17:12
Istanbul
Level Contributor
615 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: No fireworks in Istanbul on Newy Year Night 2014 :(

Borus, Right on! RTE and his crooked son certainly are not in the mood to celebrate anything; maybe the Guls would be considering a small celebration?