We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to visit now?

Brunei
2 posts
Save Topic
Is it safe to visit now?

hello people, as my topics questions..

Is it safe to visit Istanbul and Cappadocia at this time? I'll be visiting on the 24th jan.. most of the European news are all over the Turkish political issues..

Hope someone have some inputs on the current conditions over there.. : (

Best of Istanbul: 1, 2, or 3-Day...
171 Reviews
from US$100.00*
Special Offer
Istanbul Day Tour of Sultanahmet...
1,230 Reviews
from US$72.25*
US$85.00
Special Offer
2-Day Cappadocia Tour with Optional...
53 Reviews
from US$250.75*
US$295.00
Istanbul Bosphorus Cruise with Dinner...
96 Reviews
from US$100.00*
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
93,114 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to visit now?

It has never been unsafe for tourists in Turkey in the past 5 years or more.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to visit now?

Istanbul is a very tourist-friendly city which has never been unsafe at all in the past couple of decades. The political turmoil is nothing to do with the visitors, it is mostly a public relations game played by the political groups all of which want to have the power.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to visit now?

The biggest danger is being bored to death by the stupidity of all this strutting and willy waving I'm- more- powerful -than -you game but other than that there is nothing which would adversely impact on tourists.

australia
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to visit now?

I am in Istanbul as I write this, visiting this wonderful, captivating city for the third time. On previous trips, I travelled to Istanbul and other parts of Turkey as a solo, female traveller and have never once felt unsafe. On the contrary, I feel very welcomed and comfortable here, so much so that this trip I have brought my daughter with me!

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,268 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to visit now?

@Ic60 - that is a wonderful reply - and @sarikanarya too. If only they were more women in Turkish politics.

Trondheim
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe to visit now?

Women sharing everything Atatürk stood for, yes.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe to visit now?

I would say, "men and women" who stand for the values which a first class democracy is supposed to have.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe to visit now?

There is an old saying;

"if you want something doing,doing correctly and doing now....ask a busy woman!"

So I think the cabinet of every government should be made up of at least 80% busy working mothers.Why?

They are the ultimate multi-taskers,

can run home and work life as smooth as any battle ship commander,

they do a job right first time because they haven't got time to do it again(they have to get that ironing done!)

can manage to feed and clothe a family on a tiny budget down to the last penny with not a penny wasted,

have amazing diplomatic skills(yes darling he has got more chips than you but your are bigger),

carry in their head every detail of what makes their family work,

can do huge business deals over the telephone in the supermarket whilst shopping for fish fingers(and yet more toilet rolls),

see no incongruity in having a childs Mr.Men book in their bag along side the Financial Times,

can meet their deadlines on time as well as getting to school concerts on time,

and...they still have time to listen to their husbands complaints about what a busy stressful day they had!

Haa haa haa!

Yes we've göne way off topic I know,sorry,but I couldn't resist that :)

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe to visit now?

Sarı, I guess the women you talk about on your post are not ones we see in "The Desperate Housewives" show :)

Edited: 12 January 2014, 09:07
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it safe to visit now?

Oh no!God forbid :-O Nor are they Real Hollywood Housewives :)

But really think about it;you're a married man and I bet your wife can make 10TL do the work of 20TL-imagine a Treasury Minister with that capability?

As a mother she will have safety and security as her first priority;imagine a security chief with a mothers keen eye for pre empting danger.

Between appeasing various groups of relatives and negotiating various child squabbles I reckon she could give Henry Kissinger a run for his money in diplomacy.

Kick Ahmet Davutoğlu out and give his wife a chance!