We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you have to pay to use the restroom in Istanbul?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
29,646 posts
546 reviews
Save Topic
Do you have to pay to use the restroom in Istanbul?

When I went to Berlin in late September/Early October of 2013, something that was surprising to me as an American, was that you had to pay 50 Cents Euros or even 1 Euro to use the restroom at any place that you were not purchasing something. That included anywhere where a train was located that had restrooms, a mall, etc. I do like this in a way because it keeps the facilities clean.

Was curious on how is it in Istanbul and the rest of Turkey, is it similar in that sense that you pay to use public restroom?

Kayakoy, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,786 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you have to pay to use the restroom in Istanbul?

Yes, you pay in public restrooms but those in restaurants, gas stations etc don't generally make a charge. Although it's customary to leave a small tip for the attendant if there is one.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,153 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you have to pay to use the restroom in Istanbul?

I have never paid to use a public restroom except in bus stations and a couple of small airport terminals. In each of these events there has always been an attendant collecting "tips", and I have never tipped more than one lira. I also think I remember using a bathroom in the Grand Bazaar where there was an attendant.

Most places where I might use a restroom such as a hotel lobby, restaurant, coffee shop, mall, tourist attraction or gas station do not have attendants and they do not charge people to use their facilities. I do try to avoid public restrooms located in places like the Metro station, but I rarely experience a restroom in Istanbul that is not clean and well maintained.

I also try to use restrooms where I find at least one western style toilet. Asian toilets require more dexterity than I generally have; however, if I am in a typical blue-color neighborhood in Istanbul, I am never surprised if a restaurant offers only an Asian toilet.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you have to pay to use the restroom in Istanbul?

Restaurants, malls, gas stations, airports - NO.

Metro stations, bus terminals, public toilets- YES.

4. Re: Do you have to pay to use the restroom in Istanbul?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2015, 06:19