We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is a better area to stay? Sultanahmet or Taksim?

Chandigarh, India
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Which is a better area to stay? Sultanahmet or Taksim?

We are a young couple travelling to Istanbul for 4 nights. We want to view tourist attractions as well as experience the vibrant nightlife. Our budget is around 120 euros per night.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which is a better area to stay? Sultanahmet or Taksim?

Hi mohitg1580,

You can find lots of answers to this question in the "Top Questions About Istanbul" section which is on the right handside of this page at the top. tripadvisor.com/…28175048

If it were me, as a young couple who also wants to live the fun side of the city, I would pick Taksim or Beyoğlu.

Have fun,

Borus

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which is a better area to stay? Sultanahmet or Taksim?

For vibrant nightlife (clubs, bars, meyhanes etc), I would also say Beyoglu would suit you better. You can travel into the old city to see the historic sites and the bazaars (it takes around 30-40 mins depending where you are - or you can walk in 45 mins - 1 hour if you are fairly fit).

Your budget is a little low to stay in this area (the majority of hotels are more expensive than in the old city where there are more budget options) but there are certainly places you will be able to find that are within your price range.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which is a better area to stay? Sultanahmet or Taksim?

If you want to visit the touristic areas and feel the old city around you then your choices are anywhere the tram goes between Eminonu to Laleli. Areas such as Sultanahmet, Sirkeci, Nuruosmaniye, Bayezid, Laleli and even Aksaray.

It'll take you less than 1/2 hour to reach the nightlife areas by public transport.

Here is a map of the public transport network of the city. Print it, laminate it & study it. It will be your companion when you are here.

istanbul-ulasim.com.tr/media/8540/erisim_220…

Istanbul, Turkey
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which is a better area to stay? Sultanahmet or Taksim?

If you want to be close both area you should choice sirkeci location. 10 min walking distance to old city and 30 min walking distance to Taksim. I can recommennd you also Yasmak Group Hotels They have 3* , 4* and Deluxe hotel. So you can definitly find a room for your budget.

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which is a better area to stay? Sultanahmet or Taksim?

Be aware public transport stops at midnight - so if you want nightlife, stay close to it (or you will be getting a taxi back!).

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,439 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which is a better area to stay? Sultanahmet or Taksim?

Another vote for Taksim/Beyoglu for you both. It's a lot of fun with so many bars and restaurants within walking distance. Pera Tulip is a nice and reasonably priced hotel in the area and it's not five minutes from Istiklal Cd. I'd request a room/suite on one of the top floors. http://www.peratulip.com/

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,153 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which is a better area to stay? Sultanahmet or Taksim?

ResmeN makes a valid point. The public transportation system makes hotels all along the route of the tram convenient for visiting various areas. I do note that the public transportation system is not available after midnight. It is always possible to get a taxi from the Taksim area to Sultanahmet or Sirkeci. The cost of a taxi to these areas would be between 15TL and 20TL, which is a reasonable charge.

I personally would not stay in Taksim, likely for the same reasons you are attracted. We are not excited about evening entertainment in Taksim. We dine early and if we are not attending a cultural event, we go to bed early. I suspect you would enjoy your stay more if you were near a very active night life. You can easily get public transportation throughout the day to the historical areas you may want to visit.

Trondheim
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which is a better area to stay? Sultanahmet or Taksim?

It is a breeze walking fro Beyoglu to Sirkeci, which makes this area the best to stay in perhaps. Certainly best for getting around.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,462 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which is a better area to stay? Sultanahmet or Taksim?

For young people who want to enjoy the nightlife I would recommend Beyoglu or Cihangir. You are in the middle of all the restaurants, bars and cafes, within a walking distance at night.

My son liked Pera Tulip pretty much, and some collegues, who have been there after him, as well. It´s not a very fancy hotel and sometimes noisy, but probably within your budget and in a very good location.

Edited: 25 January 2014, 22:38
10. Re: Which is a better area to stay? Sultanahmet or Taksim?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2015, 06:18