We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turkish Lira down

singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Turkish Lira down

Will be in Istanbul in July. I read about the decline in the Turkish Lira but the hotel room rates remain the same in US dollar terms. Surely the Istanbul Hotels quote in Lira and not US dollars which means the search engines are not passing through the reductions. But that cannot be because of the competition. Thanks for any enlightenment.

Best of Istanbul: 1, 2, or 3-Day...
173 Reviews
from US$100.00*
Special Offer
Istanbul Day Tour of Sultanahmet...
1,230 Reviews
from US$72.25*
US$85.00
Special Offer
2-Day Cappadocia Tour with Optional...
53 Reviews
from US$250.75*
US$295.00
Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
39,914 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Turkish Lira down

This last post by VR brings back the truth in my post No. 5 at this thread. Hotels will continue to quote their prices in Euros as long as fluctuations continue and long term stabilty is not reached. This does not mean that they will not accept TL for payment. They naturally will at the exchange rate current at the time of payment.

enigma...

Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
425 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Turkish Lira down

I agree with everyone who thinks that in Istanbul it's better to pay in Liras and also I think all vendors prefer it. I've been to Istanbul 3 times (probably this year will also be my 4th time) and only times I've paid anything in euros was my second hotel bill and transfers from/to airport.

Every time when I've asked vendors how much something costs, they say me price in liras. I will compare it with Cambodia, where they always asked if I want to pay in USD or local currency.

Maybe this EUR/Lira thing is more common in Sultanahmet area and Grand Bazaar but I haven't noticed it. I can not imagine what street vendors would to with so many euro coins...

A week ago I bought sahlep from street vendor with 2 liras. It's 0,67 eur.

Probably everyone who will pay for things in euros will get ripped off.

Mentioned in this post
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
43. Re: Turkish Lira down

There are very few things in Istanbul that the prices are quoted in foreign money: hotel rates, tours, and guides.

Daily life runs on lira. Tourists are not forced to pay in foreign money. People do not get unhappy when tipped with lira (but they do when given chocolates instead of money, as is suggested by well travelled(?) tourists on other forums). If you do not have liras, it is not possible to use the public transport, take the Bosphorus cruise, buy museum tickets, shop at malls or stores, eat at restaurants out of the tourist areas.

Enough on this subject.

Borus

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,627 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Turkish Lira down

Back on topic the government has intervened and ordered the reserve bank to raise interest rates to lower the foreign currencies. It appears to have worked for now. I hope this is sustainable on behalf of the Turkish economy in the long run and sincerely hope and wish the lira would gain value and foreign currencies drop at least another 10-20 kuruş against the lira. I hope we see these levels soon

1 aud = 1.7 lira

1 usd = 1.9 lira

1 eur = 2.6 lira

1 gbp = 3.2 lira

I know this is wishful thinking but I hope this can happen in the near future bringing the strength of the lira back to where it was not too long ago.

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
45. Re: Turkish Lira down

I visited Istanbul 6 times in 3 years. I only use TL. Its acceptable Every where. However, rental cars always quote in Eur. But I pay in TL anyway.

46. Re: Turkish Lira down

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2015, 05:22