We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fresh seasonal fruit

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Selangor...
1 post
Save Topic
fresh seasonal fruit

hi, me and my friend will competing in Istanbul gastronomy festival at Tuyab Convection centre. just want to know where to buy and get fresh seasonal fruit such as honeydew, watermelon and papaya in Istanbul. I really need to know the place or market. this is our 1st visit to Istanbul and we stay at Avcilar because we need near to the Tuyab centre. thanks

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,026 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fresh seasonal fruit

Hello,

That is in February, right?

First of all papaya is not a fruit that grows in Turkey. Melon is a fruit that grows all summer, so if you find it in winter it is not the best available. You can find loads of citrus fruits in winter and the Turkish bananas are about the best!

Good luck!

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: fresh seasonal fruit

Welcome to the Tripadvisor Community.

There is a big Carrefour hypermarket at Pelikan Mall in Avcılar, very close to the metrobus stop. Here is the map for you :

http://pelicanmall.com.tr/bize_ulasin.asp

As VR has suggested, you can find mainly citrus fruits in winters in Turkey. Big hypermakets sell almost very fruit available anywhere in world though. I think you can find melons (we call them winter melons) and honeydew in Avcılar but I am not sure about papaya which is very foreign for Turkish palate.

Best of luck for you in the competition,

Borus

Edited: 28 January 2014, 09:44
Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,266 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fresh seasonal fruit

shahriza, There is a fresh produce marketplace at Avcilar Denizköşkler on Fridays at the following location: "http://goo.gl/maps/pmDNQ"., and "wikimapia.org/21557482/…B1". It is diagonally across the primary school.

enigma...

Edited: 28 January 2014, 09:50
Istanbul, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
3,892 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: fresh seasonal fruit

Hi,

I didnt heard of honeydew before and papaya cannot be found easily at local markets in neighbourhoods. Bring them with you and keep in refrigerator.

Alper

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: fresh seasonal fruit

Shahriza, I can find honeydew melon even in my local small Carrefour Expres in Tuzla. I am sure you can find it in a larger hypermarket. I am not sure about papaya though.

Borus

6. Re: fresh seasonal fruit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 January 2015, 05:18