We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to visit/do in Asia and best transport from Istanbul

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
What to visit/do in Asia and best transport from Istanbul

I'm working on our itinerary for Istanbul and we'd like to make it over to Asia. Can someone please provide guidance on what we might do/visit and how to best get there. Ferry across, train or should we include it with a Bosphorus Cruise.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to visit/do in Asia and best transport from Istanbul

You can take the ferry from Eminonu to Kadikoy or Besiktas to Uskudar.

You can take the underground Marmaray train from Sirkeci to Uskudar.

Kadikoy, walk around the fish market, ciya restaurant, baylan patisserie, walk around Bagdat rd shops, make your way to Moda and take the tramway loop. Kadikoy especially the area around the fish market is very lively regardless of what time of the day it is.

Uskudar, visit Maidens tower, Mihrimah Sultan mosque (under renovation), but there are a few other historic mosques near the coast and a bit inland worthy of visiting as well (Valide, Valide Atik, Sakirin, Cinili mosques), Camlica hill (for a great view of the city).

You could also walk or bus your way to the next suburb of Kuzguncuk which has kept its original form over the years intact and is filled with many historic churches, synagogues & mosques.

If you want to feel some of the old Ottoman Istanbul vibe then this place would be it.

Here is a map of the route http://goo.gl/maps/V74bm

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What to visit/do in Asia and best transport from Istanbul

ResmeN - Thanks for this recommendations and specifically a map of the route. I've been building out my own and can add some of these spots in there at http://goo.gl/maps/iD84N.

Edited: 03 February 2014, 22:35
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to visit/do in Asia and best transport from Istanbul

Very nice Trish O, good to see. That will come in very handy.

I do similarly each time I visit somewhere as well.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,142 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to visit/do in Asia and best transport from Istanbul

Our DE Enigma lives in Kadikoy and has provided a comprehensive explanation of the various activities. If you read his post in the following link you can then link to his report. tripadvisor.com/…47080321

The Marmaray Metro now connects Europe to Asia in a brief trip of 7 minutes under the Bosphorus. My preference is for the ferry. It is a 20 minute trip, but you have interesting views of the Bosphorus as well as spectacular vistas of the both sides of the Bosphorus. I like the gentle movement across the water with many things to see as opposed to be whisked under the water missing everything to see.

I would probably not try to include a visit to Asia with a short Bosphorus Cruise. I am not sure you can even get off at Kadikoy from the short Bosphorus Cruise. I think there is a cruise that operates out of Kadikoy, but you would still have to get yourself to Kadikoy.

5. Re: What to visit/do in Asia and best transport from Istanbul

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2015, 07:19