We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 hour layover

san diego
Level Contributor
106 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
6 hour layover

Hello:

My adult son and I will be traveling to Israel in late October. We have a 6-hour layover in Istanbul, unfortunately it is from 5:00p-11:35p. Though I don't think it would be enough time or if it would be a good idea to venture outside the airport even if we were there earlier in the day. I would appreciate advice on what we can do for a couple of hours. I'd really like to have a niceTurkish dinner somewhere. Will we need visas if this is just layover? Thank you in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Stone House Bistro Cafe Restaurant
££ - £££, Seafood, International, Barbecue
Marbella Terrace Cafe Restaurant
££ - £££, Barbecue, Seafood, Turkish
Istanbul
Level Contributor
639 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 hour layover

Kokoa. you will not need a visa if you do not leave the transit area of the Airport. If you want to leave the Airport, even for a dinner, be prepared to have to have a $20 visa (for US passport holders) which you will need to do as an evisa, which is explained sufficiently in many other posts. a 6 hour layover (especially with the additional security time going to Israel) translates into at most 3 hours outside of the Airport, and therefore not really worth the hassle of visa and extra security checks. Stay in the transit area. If you are going to stay in the transit area, without visa, make sure your luggage is checked through to Tel-Aviv and that you get boarding passes for your connecting flights upon initial check-in.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv District, Israel
san diego
Level Contributor
106 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 hour layover

Cagcag: Thank you so much for your advice. I will do just that. I would really like to plan a vacation to Turkey in the near future. Hopefully, there are good eateries in the transit area of the airport. I am really looking forward to Turkish food. :-) Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 hour layover

Hi kokoa,

Good advise from cagcag. I'd recommend Kitchenette, a good restaurant but not typically authentic Turkish though. It is located on the second floor, closer to Millennium lounge and right beside the smoking terrace.

Hope this helps,

Borus

Edited: 05 February 2014, 09:51
4. Re: 6 hour layover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2015, 06:20