We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report. Journey and arrival and taxi ride from airport.

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Worksop, United...
Level Contributor
170 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report. Journey and arrival and taxi ride from airport.

We travelled with Turkish Airline from Birmingham (UK) this morning. The flight had a very eventful beginning. 3 Police officers appeared on the plane just as everyone were settling into their seats. They removed a male passenger sat in front of us. The captain then announced that we all needed to check the overhead lockers to identify our belongings to make sure that the passenger who had been removed had not left anything behind. Extremely unnerving but the cabin crew didn't look worried and I rationalised that there was no way the plane would take off if there was the slightest doubt about safety. So, we took off and the flight was very good, we are very impressed with Turkish airlines, good food and complimentary drinks, good entertainment (I watched Gravity on the movie channel).

We shared the taxi from the a/port with a solo traveller who was sat next to us on the plane. Being aware of some unscrupulous taxi drivers we paid in small bills and DH counted out the notes. We did discover that he had dropped us quite a way from our hotel though, he told us that he couldn;t drive any nearer to the hotel, the directions he gave us took us the long way round to our hotel which we eventually found with the help of a few restaurant workers in various eateries along the way. I have to give him the benefit of the doubt, perhaps he was unfamiliar with the hotel we are staying in.

We've had a short walk past the blue mosque and had something to eat, first impressions are very impressive. Our hotel (Angel's home) is lovely and I will write a review of it when we return home.

So, all in all, an eventful start to our stay, tomorrow we will be exploring in the daylight and I am very nuch looking forward to it.

I will post a full TR when we arrive back in the UK.

Worksop, United...
Level Contributor
170 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Trip report. Journey and arrival and taxi ride from airport.

Hi Marniewdc

No, we're not visiting any other parts of Turkey.

Our Son has been travelling in his winter break, he has been to Izmir, Selcuk, Ephesus, Pammukale, Fethiye and Antalya. He arrived back in Istanbul last Thursday and met up with us. He has also been for a visit to Troy since he arrived in Istanbul last November.

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,184 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Trip report. Journey and arrival and taxi ride from airport.

Sounds like he's really taking good advantage of his time in this rich part of the world. Maybe you can induce him to write a TR, also ?

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,681 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Trip report. Journey and arrival and taxi ride from airport.

Ooh, I envy you .... And your son!

The extra security on the flights may also be due to the Winter Olympics in Sochi. Last night, the BBC Olympic commentators said they were getting early reports of an incident on a flight in Turkey, Istanbul I think, but I've heard no more about it today.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,681 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Trip report. Journey and arrival and taxi ride from airport.

Ah, here's a report about the incident during the Sochi Opening Ceremony, (which it seems was completely unrelated) - …msn.com/world/hijack-bid-for-ukraine-prison…

15. Re: Trip report. Journey and arrival and taxi ride from airport.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2015, 05:21