We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Remembering Lemonlady

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Southern Highlands...
Level Contributor
591 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Remembering Lemonlady

Ok not so much a question just something I thought I would share.

When I first went to Turkey in 2006 I posted a great deal on this site asking questions about not just Istanbul but different areas within Turkey. At that time there was a very special expert on this site - Lemonlady who's knowledge was amazing, gave great advice, off the beaten places to visit and eat at and so on. I was just looking at some of the posts around the time that I was in Turkey(trying to remember places that I visited) and I can't help but be sad that she is no longer with us.

I know that there are many regulars on the forum who will know who she was and that she posted pretty much every day. I have to say to all the regulars that with all your advice and assistance you are keeping this forum going which is very much appreciated. I know that without Lemonlady's help I would never have had such an amazing time in Turkey and kept the memory of Turkey in my mind and can't wait to get back there, even if it is 7 years later.

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,097 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Remembering Lemonlady

A great memory for all those of us who were on the forum while Lemonlady was here and helping people to discover Istanbul in her own inimitable way. I owe much of my love of the city to her.

She helped create a fun, inclusive, helpful forum, where travel advice lived side by side with discussion, new ideas and a sense of friendly community.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Remembering Lemonlady

I wish I had the chance to know her in person. Definitely a great loss for the Istanbul Forum which, I believe, desperately needs some human touch and friendliness apart from being informative and factual. I hope, one day, the regulars here on the forum can learn to become a real community as it used to be but I think the chances are very small :(

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,605 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Remembering Lemonlady

Tams, you must have travelled nearly the same time as my first visit to Istanbul - well, first if you exclude a visit 26 yrs ago! So your second visit didn't take nearly as long as mine!

Borus, interesting comment. I thought there was , and is, a nice community here who try to post with "friendliness and a human touch,"including GTTD, Attagul, Patara, VR, sari and myself dating back to Lemon ladies day. It's a shame that some excellent, regular posters and DE's were chased away, and that others have actively been discouraged from posting friendly, human observation about their visits and experiences in Istanbul.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
35,689 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Remembering Lemonlady

Tams_in_Oz, Thank you for remembering Lemonlady and reminding us the great work she did in these forums. When I joined these forums 7 years ago, Lemonlady welcomed me to the forums. I have very fond memories of communication with her. I was very sorry for her loss during the summer of 2007. She was indeed a great contributor and motivator. I remember what she said once: "not a single post should be left unanswered" and that has always been in my mind when answering questions at this forum.

enigma...

Edited: 10 February 2014, 19:16
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
284 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Remembering Lemonlady

And, enigma, that's a great example of the friendliness and human touch that you and so many bring to the Istanbul forum. It's the best I've seen on Trip Advisor, and the kindness and helpfulness make it such a pleasure to follow the posts.

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,097 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Remembering Lemonlady

Re-reading a lot of old Lemonlady post tonight has been a lovely reminder of the 'good old days' - and I am glad of this new thread which made me do that.

Lemonlady's great skill was in making every person who visited the forum feel welcomed, and made everyone who posted feel that their opinions and thoughts were valued, and that all opinions held weight.

She had such a genuine desire to help people discover a love for the city that had inspired her own deep love and her dreams. She remains much missed.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,743 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Remembering Lemonlady

LL helped me during a very bad and sad time, although her life wasn´t without problems too, probably.

So I will never forget her and those times on the forum, when some of us made friends :-))!

Hermus
Level Contributor
41 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Remembering Lemonlady

Istanbul forum is really dry, just informative and intolerant of different ideas. At least that's my impression. I wish it was friendlier. New people don't seem to be very encouraged to participate beyond basics and make friends. It's efficient though but not a very pleasant forum to read.

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,097 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Remembering Lemonlady

It did used to be very different Erishte. Here is a thread from the 'Lemon Lady days' which gives a small sense of the community and the fun we had. These kinds of posts would be closed down now - or just not welcomed. We still answered all travellers questions but maybe with a bit more warmth. We did build friendships in that time, and many of them continue now away from the forum.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k12…

Istanbul
Level Contributor
1,995 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Remembering Lemonlady

I don't think that's a very fair comment erishte. I try to be friendly as do all the other regulars on here. However, it does get frustrating when people ask the same questions over and over again without bothering to use google or search the forums. My solution to this is to only reply to threads I have an interest in, or are not common questions.

I propose we have a lunch or dinner sometime this year :-)