We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do I get my bags from Turkish Airlines?

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
How do I get my bags from Turkish Airlines?

Hi,

I have had such an ordeal with Turkish Airlines. They lost my bags and 4 days later I am still waiting to get them. The company they use is pathetic and has no customer service either. They keep giving me very different information on my bags each time I call. I have asked to speak to a manager or make a complaint and they won't forward my call to anyone who can help. This company's name is City Bags.

I have tried to complain on the Turkish Airlines website as well and the form doesn't even work. So I emailed them, and they sent an initial reply but have not responded since.

I am wondering if anyone can advise as to how I deal with this? Suffice to say I will never fly Turkish Airlines again, and will be advising other people not to as well. However I need my baggage. It is all I have at present.

If anyone can guide me on what to do I would be grateful.

T

Istanbul
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How do I get my bags from Turkish Airlines?

Can't really advise anything other than to keep calling both Turkish Airlines and the cargo company. This has happened to me 3 times, once with Turkish Airlines and twice with different airlines, and to be honest, Turkish Airlines was the worst experience, so I empathise.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,103 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do I get my bags from Turkish Airlines?

Hi Tayaba, I am sorry that your luggage is missing. Generally the airline does not lose your luggage. Most of the time it is lost by the luggage handlers at the various airports through which it moves. So, Turkish Air does not lose your luggage, but they are the only place you can go when your luggage is missing.

I am wondering where you are currently. The suggestions I have would be predicated on what your current status is. Are you in Istanbul trying to locate your luggage or in another Turkish city? Are you in a country other than Turkey? I am assuming that you are not at your home destination because you write that you have nothing, but if you are, in fact, at your home we would need to know that as well.

Although we read frequently about lost luggage, well less than 1% of all luggage is actually lost. If everyone who had a successful experience with their luggage wrote about it it would probably be totally unmanageable. I acknowledge that Turkish Air has some customer service issues, particularly if the issue involves someone who does not understand English well, and the person who needs assistance does not speak Turkish.

Since you have successfully obtained the name of the company who actually handled your luggage, City Bags, I would continue to call them as well as Turkish Airline. If Turkish is not your native language, I would enlist the assistance of someone on the staff of my hotel to speak in Turkish to both City Bags and Turkish Air.

Is City Bags located in the same city where you are? Is there a Turkish Airline office in that same city? If so, I would probably pay a visit to both of these locations. It is often more difficult to ignore a person who is standing in front of you rather than a voice on the telephone.

In the meantime, I assume you have travel insurance. You should read your policy and make sure you do everything necessary to make a claim against Turkish Air for your lost luggage. Turkish Air should also provide you with emergency cash to purchase some clothing. I have not read the terms and conditions associated with your ticket, but these are generally standard airline obligations when luggage is lost.

I would be calm, personable and reasonable. I would not complain. I would inquire about the status of my luggage and I would request financial assistance to help you purchase things you need that are not available to you because luggage is missing. If you treat employees with dignity and respect you are more likely to receive better treatment.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,001 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do I get my bags from Turkish Airlines?

Well said, Busy-retired. If the luggage is not found, the travel insurance and the airline should take care of the loss and compensate the OP.

enigma...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do I get my bags from Turkish Airlines?

Tayyaba, patience is the virtue.

My parents bags didn't arrive on their flight mid last year when they flew in to Ankara. They turned up a week later.

We recently sent some cargo from Melbourne to Cologne.

A month later it surfaced in Christchurch.

I will confidently say it will surface from one of the airport stations somewhere.

Keep calling them for updates but at the same time have some patience.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,103 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do I get my bags from Turkish Airlines?

Once my mother airmailed a magnificent dress to me that she had made especially for Christmas. Of course, it did not arrive in time for any of our Christmas, New Year's or even Valentine's Day parties. It arrived in May after having generally toured the world with stops in India and Australia. I just try to never put anything in my checked luggage that I am not willing to live without, and I always have the ability in my carry-on to survive for 48 hours without my luggage.

It is still very hard to be patient when you do not have your own pajamas.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How do I get my bags from Turkish Airlines?

I absolutely agree with you Busy but sometimes amid all the chaos of tossing luggage and the sheer number of flights in and out of the country I am surprised to see events like this are very much a rarity.

It's happened to me a few times as well but thankfully the bags were located within a week on both occasions. The luggage network and operating procedures around the world are very advanced however at times bags go in to the wrong carousel, get left behind, get sent somewhere else etc..

When these happen it's a matter of when the station wherever the luggage is will locate it and send it on it's intended destination.

I understand the ops dilemma but unfortunately there's nothing they can do other than waiting for the good news from the airline carrier.

7. Re: How do I get my bags from Turkish Airlines?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 February 2015, 05:21