We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food Question

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Southern Highlands...
Level Contributor
595 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Food Question

I've been reading lots of post about restaurants in Istanbul and the amazing food. I loved the food when I was in Turkey and just thinking about it makes my mouth water.

In most countries there is something that is a werid traditional food that some people from other countries would go what the ....?

So I was wondering what is it for Turkey? What is the strangest things you can try in Istanbul?

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,037 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Food Question

Before I came to live Turkey my husband tried these strangest things on me, and I have to say I am always in for something new, being a chef myself (that since I live in Turkey only!).

I tried the kokoreç and I do not like it, but as I had it as we were dating I told him it was nice :-)

I tried the chicken breast pudding as well (tavuk göğüsü) and I did not like it neither, too thick to be a pudding... but that it about it.

Other unusual things: "Beyin Salatasi", brain salad I tried brain and I quite liked it. Aşure is again a pudding, the English name is Noah's arc, the best pudding ever and quite unusual because it has chickpeas, white beans together with all kind of nuts, dried fruits, pomegranate in a bit of a watery starchy pudding, every time in İstanbul I must eat it in Saray muhallebicisi.

Then desserts made with rose water are so gorgeous and pretty unusual. Yogurt soup is not what I had ever heard of before I came to Turkey, it is a hot soup and so delicious and make it so often now.

Also unusual are a few types of köfte, there is a wide variety of meatballs, but the çiğ köfte and içli köfte and the most unusual ones. Çiğ köfte is made of raw meat mixed with fine bulgur and hot peppers. Eat them with fresh crispy salad, so gorgeous! And the "içli köfte" is minced meat with walnuts inside a ball of bulgur rice. Either deep fried or cooked, being the former the best in my opinion.

One more thing the Turks are quite obsessed with is nibbling sun flower seeds, I never got that obsession, but the grilled chickpeas as a "nibble" thing (called leblebi) is really good. Freshly toasted on top of Boza...

I thought I was comign to an end, but that brings me to boza, ayran and sahlep. These drinks are almost pudding like, pretty thick so you can eat them (except for the ayran).

Ayran is like buttermilk but less sour, it is actually yogurt thinned with milk or water and some salt. Some people drink it mixed with Rakı!

Boza is a fermented drink served cold, very thick. Sahlep is made of orchid roots is like a vanilla pudding, served hot with cinnamon, a real treat!

If more comes to my mind I will be back! Cheers!

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,598 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Food Question

"wet burger" - the word that always comes to my mind is "soggy"!! But maybe it is just the meat pattie that is soaked in the tomato sauce?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Food Question

Wow VR- I have just realized how many weird things we have. I can't eat brain salad it just tastes like eating butter. Yuck. But I like boza, yogurt soup (the cold version is yoğurt aşı and hot version is yayla çorbası). Sahlep, aşure and ayran are wonderful.

What about mumbar dolması (stuffed intestines)?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Food Question

Here is how wet burgers are made: burgersandbruce.com/2013/02/wet-burgers-ista…

Believe me, they are yummy.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,037 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Food Question

I saw rthe wet burgers on the famous tv program "No Reservations" with Anthony Bourdain. Sorry for being impolite but to me it looked nothing more than somebody forgetting the ketchup in the burger so rolled the outside bun around in ketchup. Not something that tickled me like I have to try this :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,598 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Food Question

Sorry Borus - that article has only served to whet my prejudice against soggy wet burgers!

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,037 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Food Question

Borus, I quote you "it just tastes like eating butter".... I should not eat too much butter but it is soo tempting here, the fresh made butter is just soooo good, together with hot backed lavash bread (crispy balloon shaped bread), just that and my day is made....

Southern Highlands...
Level Contributor
595 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Food Question

I love the line in the blog post about the wet burgers "Turkey is famous for its hammams and the burgers were enjoying their own little hammam spa treatment." that did make me laugh

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Food Question

Ha ha. VR. They really look ugly and unappetizing but I kind of like them.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Food Question

Okay people, I give up! It is so obvious I cannot sell the wet burgers to you. All is mine then :)