We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sundays in Istanbul?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
246 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Sundays in Istanbul?

I'm here now and wondering what I can check off my list tomorrow as far as the "must sees" I know most sites close on Sundays? Many thanks:) JamillaDNYC

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sundays in Istanbul?

Jamilla,

Most of the main sights are open on Sundays maybe except for a couple of bazaars (GB and SB).

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
246 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sundays in Istanbul?

Thanks ! Are most currency exchanges open in Sultanahmet as well?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sundays in Istanbul?

Jamilla,

Yes Jamila, as long as there are tourists around, there is a business for them in Sultanahmet:)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
246 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sundays in Istanbul?

Haha Boris! I suppose that makes sense. I just landed a few hours ago and sort of overwhelmed. Thanks so much for your answers. I also have electronics like an iPad and phone....do you think I should ask my hotel for a adapter converter? Or should I buy it somewhere?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sundays in Istanbul?

Jamilla, I can understand how you are overwhelmed with the intensity of Istanbul. Just allow yourself the time and chance to take in all the uniqueness and beauty Istanbul has to offer. About the adaptor, whichever is easier for you. I would buy one for my future visits to the Old World.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
246 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sundays in Istanbul?

Thanks for understanding!!:) and I will buy one. I will write you if I need some help!:):)

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sundays in Istanbul?

Any time :)

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
655 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sundays in Istanbul?

If you are planning on seeing a Dervish ceremony, the Galata Mevlevihanesi on the lower end of Istikal has a Sema on Sundays at 5 pm. It is held in a beautifully restored building and there is a museum there also. You need to go early to purchase tickets. They were 40 TL when I went last March.

galatamevlevihanesimuzesi.gov.tr/homepage.ht…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
246 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sundays in Istanbul?

Thanks!!!!:)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sundays in Istanbul?

It would have been a good idea to buy the adapter prior to arriving

Go visit Topkapi Palace, Ayasofya & Sultanahmet mosques, Galata Tower,

whattodoinistanbul.net/recommended/…

istanbultrails.com/2008/…

As Borus said business is as usual on Sundays for majority of the tourist attractions except for the 2 bazaars.

istanbultrails.com/things-to-see-do-in-istan…

Take your time and ease in to it.

It's better to have somewhat of an idea of what to do but in any case you can still enjoy your time there.