We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unrest in Turkey : Can I plan a family trip in April,14

Bangalore, India
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Unrest in Turkey : Can I plan a family trip in April,14

Hi,

April is the time for our yearly family vacation and Turkey is high on our wish list this year. But we hear about the unrest in Turkey, impact of crisis in Syria etc. Are these really a big problem in Turkey now? Can I go ahead and plan our trip ? We plan to start in mid April,14.

If it is generally ok to go, are there any specific places that we should avoid, we'll be traveling with our 14 year old son.

Any inputs, advice on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ujjwal

Mentioned in this post
Syria
Syria
Middle East
Best of Istanbul: 1, 2, or 3-Day...
173 Reviews
from US$100.00*
Special Offer
Istanbul Day Tour of Sultanahmet...
1,230 Reviews
from US$72.25*
US$85.00
Special Offer
2-Day Cappadocia Tour with Optional...
53 Reviews
from US$250.75*
US$295.00
Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
39,928 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unrest in Turkey : Can I plan a family trip in April,14

Ujjwal, I do not know of any unrest in Turkey, just the usual political squabbles. You can safely come and spend your vacation in Turkey. There are no areas that you can not go. I was recently at the Syrian border and there was nothing out of the ordinary even there. Mid April is a great time to visit Turkey.

enigma...

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Unrest in Turkey : Can I plan a family trip in April,14

Hi Ujjwal,

I live in Istanbul and I am 100% confident that there is no unrest in Istanbul and Syria is thousands miles away from Istanbul. Your source of information must be not very uptodate. Istanbul is a very safe metropolis, if not the safest and I am sure you will have a wonderful time here.

Be excited,

Borus

Mentioned in this post
Syria
Syria
Middle East
Bangalore, India
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Unrest in Turkey : Can I plan a family trip in April,14

Thanks so much!! Will go ahead and book my flight tickets to start with.

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,820 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Unrest in Turkey : Can I plan a family trip in April,14

Agree with the others, there is no unrest in Istanbul and Syria is a thousand miles away so no impact at all.

Mentioned in this post
Syria
Syria
Middle East
nkt
Ankara, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Ankara
Level Contributor
1,957 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Unrest in Turkey : Can I plan a family trip in April,14

What you might have heard is last summer's protests, but those had nothing to do with Syria. The only possibility I can think of right now (for midApril) is that it will be right after the municipal elections, and if the dictato... ehm - government tries to cheat in the elections, there may be some protests. Or if enemies of the government expose yet another corruption scandal involving the government right before the election, protests might arise. These are quite unlikely scenarios, but I can't say it is improbable.

No need for concern, I am saying this just like flight attendants informing air passengers about unlikely emergency procedures before flight. So, in the event that you see a protest, stay away from it. In the event that you see squads of police in riot control gear, or armored water cannons, stay away from them as well. Even if you don't see a protest, you might notice it from distance if there is tear gas in the air.

As for Syria, the only significant effect it had is slight increase in ordinary crime (usually theft types) in some border cities that received a lot of poor refugees.

Mentioned in this post
Syria
Syria
Middle East
Maryland
Level Contributor
571 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Unrest in Turkey : Can I plan a family trip in April,14

I concur 100% with nkt, Istanbul is perfectly safe and you're sure to have a wonderful vacation. If at all there are protests its in the Taksim square area, and even then generally peaceful, just exercise caution and common sense.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,669 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Unrest in Turkey : Can I plan a family trip in April,14

Most of the violence seems to be confined to punch ups in parliament, so seems ok on the streets

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,627 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Unrest in Turkey : Can I plan a family trip in April,14

Echoing above posts in saying that there is no Unrest in Turkey.

Plan a family trip in April,14 as you normally would.

Mumbai, India
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Unrest in Turkey : Can I plan a family trip in April,14

Hi,

We are planning a family vacation with my 4 year old son. wanted to know whether Turkey is a safe place to travel. We are indian vegetraians and do not eat even egg.. Will i find vegetarian food for our family. I am more worried due to my 4 year old sone.

Also let me know whether a 4 year old will really like visiting turkey..

Really appreciate your feedback,

Bangalore, India
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Unrest in Turkey : Can I plan a family trip in April,14

ShivSeema,

I think , there have been few responses already posted here on this thread about the safety aspect. Turkey in general is as safe as any other country, Istanbul might have seen few protests and demonstrations but those are mostly political as you get to see here in India.

About your 4 year old son, if you have very good clarity of what to expect to see in Turkey then you yourself may have the best answer to this question. However , you can refer this link for specific inputs on similar topic

tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k46511…

Ujjwal