We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The symbol of Istanbul?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Topic
The symbol of Istanbul?

Hi Forum,

For London, it is the Big Ben, for Paris, the Eiffel Tower, for Cairo it is the Pyramids.

What do you think the symbol of Istanbul is/should be? Hollywood uses the Blue Mosque, the Turkish movie industry uses the Bosphorus Bridge, the local authorities uses mostly the Galata Tower. What is/should be it really (for you)?

Borus

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
136 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The symbol of Istanbul?

Hi Borus,

My thought, it is Bosphorus Bridge. It is not only a bridge, it connects continents.

Southern Highlands...
Level Contributor
600 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The symbol of Istanbul?

I've got to say it's the Blue Mosque. However the image looking across the water at Sultanahmet with the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia and Topkapi Palace at sunset, to me that's Istanbul.

Can't believe I'll be there in just under 2 weeks time!!!!!

Edited: 25 February 2014, 11:02
Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The symbol of Istanbul?

I'd say Aya Sophia, the confluence of cultures, the meeting point for Islam and Christianity, but also reflects the secular side of the modernday Turkey. Also one of the oldest buildings from the past of the city.

Tams-Less than two weeks? So excited for you.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,397 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The symbol of Istanbul?

Whart a fun thread. Thanks Borus. I kind of agree with Hakan. The illuminated bridge at at wonderful sunset from the Bosphorus side (which we do not see pictures that much of) with the Hagia Sophia and Blue Mosque in the background IS Istanbul.

enigma...

Edited: 25 February 2014, 11:10
Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,397 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The symbol of Istanbul?

Tams_in_Oz, How wonderful. You must be so excited. Istanbul is waiting for you and we would love your upcoming trip reports.

enigma...

Southern Highlands...
Level Contributor
600 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The symbol of Istanbul?

I know Borus, very excited, meetings are set up including meeting the president of the Iznik Foundation. Just got to sort out the visa, the consulate has to decide which one I need....long story! Can't wait to get back to Istanbul.

Love this post, will be interesting hearing the difference between the tourist and locals

Southern Highlands...
Level Contributor
600 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The symbol of Istanbul?

Enigma, will make sure I post while I'm there. The trip report will be business and pleasure and of course shopping if I get time!

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: The symbol of Istanbul?

So the votes so far:

The Bosphorus Bridge 2

Blue Mosque 1

Aya Sophia 1

Any other suggestions or votes?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The symbol of Istanbul?

Hmm,interesting thread.It is hard to choose between Blue Mosque,Aya Sofya and Topkapı Palace,or even the Grand Bazaar,as each is so iconic and instantly recognisable.The stylised Ottoman tulip symbol is also now linked to Istanbul rather than to the rest of Turkey.

Haydarpaşa station is also another instantly known building,although that is to go soon.Or the entrance arch to Istanbul University maybe?

What about the costumed Maraş icecream sellers or the Mehter band?

For a contemporary face of the city perhaps Istiklal Caddesi or Sapphire Tower-or Şükrü Saraçoğlu Stadium :))

Perhaps in future Gezi Park will be regarded as a symbol of post modern Istanbul.....

Difficult.What other city has so many instantly recognisable images?Not many.

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The symbol of Istanbul?

It has to be the Blue Mosque for me too. While the symbolism of the Aya Sophia is greater, and the bridge untagging the continents does outline the uniqueness of a city that sits in both Europe and Asia, the beauty of the Blue Mosque can't be denied and it 'says' Istanbul to me more than any other structure.

My favourite view however is looking to Topkapi Palace with the Blue Mosque and Aya Sophia behind when on the ferry from Kadikoy to Eminonu.