We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Strange Hamami Question

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
kentucky
Level Contributor
5,802 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Strange Hamami Question

www.galatasarayhamami.com/hammam/?page_id=14

Would someone please explain "pouched sparkling bath" or "pouch is made" or do I really want to know?

Some things can easily be lost in translation...

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Strange Hamami Question

This made me laugh a lot. I think they mean foam massage. They cover your body with soap suds and give you a relaxing massage afterwards.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,567 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Strange Hamami Question

kyshel, pouch is what is called "Kese" in Turkish (really bath gloves): "…allforhamam.com/hamam_accessories_kese_bath…". So at this stage the attendant (tellak) cleans the body with heavily soaped "kese". Sparkling pouch bath is really pouring soap bubbles alll over you after the kese treatment and rewashing you with a much softer fibrous kese to completely clean you. It is a very relaxing process for ultimate cleaning.

enjoy Turkish baths,

enigma...

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,802 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Strange Hamami Question

Thank you both. I was almost hesitant to ask but what the heck? I've been to IST twice on short airline layovers; have not been to hammam since private one in Fez. Going with sister and niece in June and this one is on short list. Awaiting price info; website has no menu pricing. I'm glad someone found it humorous. I certainly did! Cheers.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,138 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Strange Hamami Question

Whenn I had this is a lovely private hotel spa, the attendant called it a "bubble massage", which I thought was a great description.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Strange Hamami Question

I visited Galatasaray hamam a few weeks ago and based on my experience will say it is over priced and the service & facilities aren't that great either.

In Istanbul I can recommend Sofular hamami which is more of a neighbourhood hamam in Aksaray with a local feel.

http://sofularhamami.com/

Kilic Ali Pasa hamam in Karakoy has got my interest and this is where I will be visiting next

http://kilicalipasahamami.com/

tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g293974…

Another hamam worthy of going to is Mihrimah Sultan hamam in Edirnekapi

www.mihrimahsultanhamami.com/hamamsauna.html

The pouch is a small mit the masseuse wears on their hand to encourage exfoliation of the dirty & dead skin off your body.

General price of entrance, kese & soap massage ranges between 30-100 lira depending on which hamam you go to.

If you want truly authentic and grand hamams then you cant go past Eski & Yeni Kaplica in the Cekirge neighbourhood of Bursa. There are a couple of really good ones in Ankara as well.

A hamam is one of the unique must do experiences in Turkey.

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,802 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Strange Hamami Question

ResmeN

Thank you very much for your opinion and the info. I know it's quite pricey but I was shooting for character of the hammam, as well as services. I will explore those options, and if you go to Karakoy, please post or send me a PM. We don't go until June and any advice is appreciated. We don't anticipate having time to spend anywhere but Istanbul but we are flexible as we're flying on airline passes. I want this to be a great experience, including the interior amenities/atmosphere. All three of us like the idea of extra oil massages, too.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Strange Hamami Question

I visited Kilic Ali Pasa complex a fair few times over the past few months and the hamam always caught my attention but didn't get a chance to indulge myself there as yet.

It looks like a very atmospheric place.

Istanbul on its own is a great place to spend as much time as you'd like but there is a lot Turkey has to offer besides.

London, United...
Level Contributor
144 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Strange Hamami Question

ResmeN or anyone else know the price at Sofular Hamami and if they have english speaking reception. Thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Strange Hamami Question

Entrance, massage & kese should be about 30-40 lira.

Not sure about English speaking reception.

10. Re: Strange Hamami Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2015, 05:18