We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short wedding dress

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Limassol
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Short wedding dress

Coming to Istanbul this weekend and I want to buy a short wedding dress. I can buy it off the rack and have it fitted at home. BUT. Where can I find shops in Istanbul that have short wedding dresses AND they sell what they have and not work on orders?

If this doesn't work, where can I find good quality duchess satin? Grand bazaar?

Istanbul, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
3,888 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Short wedding dress

Hi,

I dont know if they offer what you're looking for but here's a website with map locations:

http://dugun.com/gelinlik/istanbul

Alper

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
35,659 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short wedding dress

Ccupkae, You can check the following stores at Beyaz Cadde at the Profilo Mall at Mecidiyekoy: "http://www.beyazcadde.com.tr/default.asp".

enigma...

Istanbul
Level Contributor
1,987 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short wedding dress

You will have a job trying to find a short wedding dress - speaking from experience as a friend just got married and wanted a short dress - she had to have it tailor made. If you ask for nisanlik (engagement) dresses, there will be more choices of lengths.

Limassol
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short wedding dress

hello, thanks a lot for the links, all printed :-)

but: what is an engagement dress? never heard of it :o)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short wedding dress

In Turkey traditionally the engagement is celebrated in just as big an event and in some cases greater of an event than the wedding itself and hence having the need to buy a separate dress for the engagement gathering.

It is a tad less formal than the wedding itself but engagements of late have taken a life of their own surpassing the wedding itself in lavishness and activities in some cases.

Weddings in Turkey are in 5 stages

Söz - meaning word or promise as in announcement of the relationship, immediate families present

Nişan - engagement gathering (segregated of mixed depending on families requests)

Kına - henna night celebrated amongst woman with only the groom making a brief appearance. Usually at the brides home or small hall

Dügün - wedding gathering (segregated or mixed depending on families requests)

As you can see there are a few processes along the way before tying the knot.

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,591 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Short wedding dress

Yes, engagements can be a big thing in Turkey and they have a special dress for the occasion. Most wedding dresses are long and fancy whereas engagement dresses are less formal.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Short wedding dress

ResmeN, what is the fifth stage? I think it is "kız isteme", ( groom's family asks bride's family for the permission for marriage)

BTW, those stages are valid mostly for the traditional families. Modern families do not follow those customs any more. Nowadays, the boy proposes to the girl (with a diamond ring), if girl says yes, then they get engaged in a small ceremony at bride's home. Then they get married and have weeding on the same day (mostly at the same time) and 50% of them get divorced within five years.

Edited: 28 February 2014, 11:22
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Short wedding dress

I was just trying to edit it to 4 but since it's 5 then let's add kiz isteme as the first step Borus :)

Very true about the new way things are going and also the same could be said about the divorce rate which is sad.

I get sad every time I go in to an ethnography museum and there are model brides on display wearing authentic traditional brides clothing. I then take a look at today's brides wearing all white and can't help but think that the traditional dresses were much more original and authentic rather than these white dresses.

I get happy when I go to an Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi/Sri Lankan wedding to see the bride & groom dressed in traditional outfits doing traditional ceremonial and religious rituals. It really adds character and flare to the occasion.

Our weddings mostly used to be the same spectacle but some of the elements have unfortunately been lost in translation. The sooner the people realise this the better.

Well thank God baslik parasi doesn't exist anymore and hope it never returns. Dowry is given to the bride only and there should never be a need to give any monetary amount to the father in law for marrying his daughter.

Southern Highlands...
Level Contributor
591 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Short wedding dress

What was the authentic traditional wedding dresses like?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Short wedding dress

This pic may give you a vague idea of what it used to be like

…glamcheck.com/bollywood/files/2012/09/aamby…

If you happen to go any of the ethnography museums in cities such as Edirne, Ankara, Bursa, Istanbul they usually have a few on display.

Here is current Pakistani bridal & groom wear which stems from their old traditions

fullhdwallpapers3d.com/wp-content/uploads/20…

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_mC1TEdZ4gks/S-CP6VksV_I/AAAAAAAAKPY/i6cf9qdspA8/s1600/Pakistani+Groom+Sherwani+-+www.Glamourhuntworld.Blogspot.com.JPG