We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short wedding dress

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Limassol
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Short wedding dress

Coming to Istanbul this weekend and I want to buy a short wedding dress. I can buy it off the rack and have it fitted at home. BUT. Where can I find shops in Istanbul that have short wedding dresses AND they sell what they have and not work on orders?

If this doesn't work, where can I find good quality duchess satin? Grand bazaar?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Short wedding dress

Here is the traditional Ottoman dresses (only for the pictures):

http://ismek.ibb.gov.tr/ismek-el-sanatlari-kurslari/webedition/file/2013_hbo_program_modulleri/Geleneksel%20Türk%20Giysi%20Aksesuarları.pdf

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Short wedding dress

Awesome information Borus. I love the variety of head wear for both men & woman back in the day.

Shame most of it has been systematically weeded out. These days you only see traditional folk dancers dressed in similar manners keeping the old dress sense alive.

Southern Highlands...
Level Contributor
591 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Short wedding dress

Wow the embroidery on the outfits are amazing and the beading on some of the head dresses and the jewellery. I love all that "textile" stuff. Thanks ResemN and Borus for the links.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Short wedding dress

ResmeN, they are really beautiful but I cannot imagine myself dressed like that. Everyday I thank the guys who invented blue jeans and sneakers (and Atatürk for abolishing all the old dress code in Turkey). It is such a bliss to be able to be free from the formal. I may sound like insensitive towards the traditions but life is really very hard and I do not like to make it even harder with heavy dresses and accessories.

Edited: 28 February 2014, 12:35
Southern Highlands...
Level Contributor
591 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Short wedding dress

I think it's nice to have something traditional for special events but for everyday you have to be comfortable.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Short wedding dress

I understand what you are saying and respect it.

The reason why I like it is because it is unique and represents you for who you are.

I'm against having to dress one way or another as the choice of what to wear should be up to the individual rather then getting directives from someone up top.

Jeans were made by Texan cowboys as a comfortable yet durable way of clothing.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Short wedding dress

God bless those Texan cowboys :)

18. Re: Short wedding dress

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2015, 05:19