We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Turkey - Food Allergy Advice

Great Yarmouth...
Level Contributor
803 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling to Turkey - Food Allergy Advice

Afternoon All

I wondered if someone would be able to translate the below for me. Travelling to Turkey in May and my daughter has a severe peanut allergy:

"I have a severe allergy to all nuts and must not eat or come into contact with them. This will cause an allergic reaction possibly resulting in death. Please check that the ingredients of my meal do not include any nuts and have been prepared in a nut free environment.

In the event of an emergency please call an ambulance"

Does Turkish cuisine use much in the way of nuts i.e. decoration, cook in peanut oil etc

Thanks in advance

Jimbo

Best of Istanbul: 1, 2, or 3-Day...
171 Reviews
from US$100.00*
Special Offer
Istanbul Day Tour of Sultanahmet...
1,230 Reviews
from US$72.25*
US$85.00
Special Offer
2-Day Cappadocia Tour with Optional...
53 Reviews
from US$250.75*
US$295.00
Istanbul Bosphorus Cruise with Dinner...
96 Reviews
from US$100.00*
Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
39,904 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Turkey - Food Allergy Advice

Jimbo, Here is something for you. "Kuruyemişe Ciddi Allerjim Var, Yemeklerde Herhangi Bir Kuruyemiş Kullanılmış Olmasın".

enigma...

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to Turkey - Food Allergy Advice

Hi Jimbo,

Here is the Turkish translation:

" Fındık, fıstık, badem,susam gibi kuruyemişlere karşı çok ciddi alerjim var. Eğer içinde bu tür yemişler olan bir yiyecek yersem veya dokunursam vücudum aşırı bir alerjik reaksiyon gösteriyor ve bu durum benim ölmeme bile yol açabilir. Lütfen yediğim yiyeceklerin içinde hiçbir suretle bu tür yemişlerin olmadığını ve hazırlandığı yerde benim yiyeceğime az da olsa karışma ihtimali olmadığını bir kere daha kontrol eder misiniz?

Lütfen acil bir durum olursa öncelikle ve aciliyetle bir ambulans çağırabilir misiniz? Teşekkürler"

As to the second part of your question: Turks do not use nuts in cooking. The food is cooked with sunflower oil, olive oil, butter and margarine (margarine is made of kern oil and palm oil). There are few dishes that include nuts. Stay away from "dolma" and stuffed mussles" which contain pine nuts. Most of the milk based desserts are dressed with nuts (mostly with hazelnuts or pistachios. Simit has sesames.

Hope this helps,

Borus

Edited: 27 February 2014, 18:47
Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,268 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to Turkey - Food Allergy Advice

Hi Jimbo16

You've had very good advice here. As an independent voice I can say that Borus's translation is excellent. Enigma's may be more useful since it requires less reading.

I sympathise, as one of my new great-nephews was recently found to be highly allergic. As he said after coming back from the hospital: "I was very sick. I was sick on Granny." No bad thing that my sister was there at the time.

You don't mention where in Turkey you'll be going, but you might be surprised how rapidly an ambulance may arrive if you were in Selcuk or Kusadasi, in my own experience.

Nut oil of any kind is not used in cooking, but you should be aware that bowls of mixed nuts are almost always automatically provided with drinks in a café / bar.

Great Yarmouth...
Level Contributor
803 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to Turkey - Food Allergy Advice

Thanks everyone for all your help, it is greatfully recieved. Wish you all well.

5. Re: Travelling to Turkey - Food Allergy Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2015, 05:19