We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

barbers

belfast
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
barbers

can anyone recommend somewhere to get a mans hair cut/ Turkish shave. we will be staying in sultanhamet area? many thanks

Best of Istanbul: 1, 2, or 3-Day...
186 Reviews
from US$100.00*
Special Offer
Small-Group Istanbul in One Day Tour...
1,236 Reviews
from US$72.25*
US$85.00
Special Offer
2-Day Cappadocia Tour with Optional...
53 Reviews
from US$250.75*
US$295.00
Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
40,044 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: barbers

jo39, Yes, there is a highly recommended barber shop at the heart of Sultanahmet: "www.salonkadir.com/salonkadir2/?page_id=95".

enigma...

Istanbul, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
4,045 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: barbers

Hi,

Traditional barber shops available in every neighbourhood and can be noticed easily by towels drying infront of shop. Touristic ones just double price.

Alper

Birmingham, England
Level Contributor
18 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: barbers

I was in Istanbul last week for four nights and had TWO shaves - the day we arrived and the day we left. One was at an all-male Barbers and the one at a unisex place. I preferred the former - it was cheaper and felt more authentic.

There are plenty of proper Barbers shops around the city - most will not look particularly fancy and will have men waiting for their treatment - whatever that may be. If you have had a Turkish haircut and shave in the UK before, the experience will be very similar except one thing I don't get in the UK is a quick face mask after the shave. That was welcome and enjoyable.

The barbers in the shop I visited did not speak very much English, and my Turkish is non-existent, but with a bit of body language and a few smiles, we got by okay and I was made to feel very welcome. I tipped the young lad who did all the donkey work for the older guys doing the technical stuff.

Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1 post
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: barbers

I can give a great recommendation but it is near Takism. It is easy to find and I have gotten a shave every other day and a haircut.

The place is called Usta Berber. It is located at Bogazkesen Cad. #38A. It is easy to find by metro. Take the train or a cab to the Tophane stop. Once you get off, cross the street (there will be a park there) and walk up the street to the left of the park (this is Bogazkesen). You go up the hill for about 4-5 blocks and the place will be on your right.

I recommend Yasim. He works everyday except Sunday. Enjoy

Miami, Florida
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: barbers

Hi, I highly recommend Salon Kadir. I'm in Istanbul for work for the last 6 months and I have been going to this salon to get my haircuts. The staff is very friendly, attentive and courteous and the salon is very clean. Whenever I go back to the U.S. I time my haircuts so that I get them with Kadir before heading home. The price is very fair too and the haircut quality is excellent. You can tell that they are passionate about what they do. They have a men and women section.

here is a link to the salon:

http://www.salonkadir.com/

I usually go on Saturdays and they get pretty busy so I was advised to preferably call them up a day before to reduce the wait time.

Mentioned in this post
london
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: barbers

BERBER (TURKISH) FADIL is the best. Thay dont charge double from turist.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,158 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: barbers

There is a great barber in Sirkeci located right next door to the Neorion Hotel. Raold told us about him, and my husband has used him for two or three years. He is good, fast and inexpensive.

Mentioned in this post
Neorion Hotel
Neorion Hotel
3,096 Reviews
Istanbul, Turkey
8. Re: barbers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2015, 07:15