We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for next trip to Turkey

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ideas for next trip to Turkey

Hi folks,

I'm planning to visit Turkey with my gf & wondering where to go...

We visited Istanbul twice in the past (September 2013 & Febuary 2014), found it spectacular...

We're planning a 3rd visit mid April (11th-19th). We have 9 days, we're flying in & out from Istanbul...

This time, we're thinking of a road trip from Istanbul. I'm thinking of hiring a car and touring along coast. We're a young couple in mid 20's, looking for something fun & adventurous. Would love to hear your ideas. Do you think the weather would be nice to go to Antalya or Marmaris or a resort destination on the southern coast?

Thanks in advance...

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for next trip to Turkey

Hi mobsaleh,

Welcome back to Turkey!

Hiring a car and self drive from Istanbul to the Med coast is a great idea. The roads are in conditions and well signposted in Turkey. The gas is very expensive. So maybe you can consider to rent a diesel car. A GPS device can be a life saver at times. Make sure your car is equipped with one. You will need to have a HGS sticker (Electronic toll payment) to use the bridges and tolled highways in Turkey. There are no manned toll collection booths anymore.

The road from Istanbul to Antalya is very easy to drive and a very scenic one. You can pick up your car at IST and drive along the coastal road to Yenikapı and get on the car ferry towards Bandırma or Yalova. Drive nons-top until Susurluk and stop by at Ulusoy Shopping mall (on the road side) for a rest. Then go all the way down to Izmir. Use the tolled highway when you arrive in Izmir and exit from Selçuk which is Ephesus ruins are located. I'd suggest you to stay one night in Selçuk. Explore the area in one day (Ephesus, Virgin Marry's House, Seven Sleepers Cave, Şirince wine village). Selçuk is also famous for its lamb sish (grilled lamb on wooden skewer). Then you can head to Bodrum. It is a great party town but also have a wonderful nature. you can stay one night there and drive down to the south. There are lots of great resort towns on the way. Dalyan, Marmaris, Fethiye, Kaş, etc. All offer great nature and very interesting historical sights. April is not an ideal weather for take a dive in the Med. It will be still too cold to swim, but there are lots of outdoor sports activities available in the area. I loved our rafting adventure in the Dalaman river. I also like scuba diving and jeep-safari. I cannot dare to do paragliding, bungee-jumping or other extreme sports but I am not in my 20s. Maybe you will love to do them. Use, TA's search facility which you can find on the top of the forum page, to find the areas and activities that would be of more interest to you.

I am sure you will have a wonderful time in Turkey.

Be excited!

Borus

Edited: 11 March 2014, 10:15
Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for next trip to Turkey

Hey Borus,

Thanks for the informative reply. Great ideas...

However, after watching the news today with the kiddo passing away in Istanbul & protests accross the country, I'm having second thoughts about visiting Turkey this April.

I also heard that the elections is late March & there could be protests as well...

Do you think the country is safe for tourists this April?

Thanks again...

mobsaleh

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
35,659 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas for next trip to Turkey

mobsaleh, country is safe for tourists and those protests should be no concern of yours unless you want to deal with Turkish politics. Turkey, unlike UAE, is a democratic country and we always have protests against the government. However this is a personal decision you have to make.

enigma...

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas for next trip to Turkey

Hi mobsaleh,

I wish I had such super powers to foretell things. The first thing I would do is to buy a lottery ticket.

I am sure the weather will get better, the sun will rise at the exact time when it is supposed to be. The flowers will bloom up. The migrant birds will come back to their summer nests. Every place in Turkey will be invigorated with the beautiful spring weather.

About politics? Who knows!

Borus

5. Re: Ideas for next trip to Turkey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2015, 04:28