We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turkish Airlines Free Hotel Stay

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
655 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Turkish Airlines Free Hotel Stay

I am looking to fly rt Chicago - Dublin in October. Turkish Airlines is offering the best price right now with a 20 hour overnight layover in Istanbul each way. I looked at the airline website for more information about the free hotel night program that I heard about on TA but didn't find much. I emailed the hotel desk for more information but they said they couldn't help me until September.

Has anyone here had any experience with Turkish Airlines free hotel night? What hotel did they put you up in? Could you make some advance arrangements or did you have to wait until you arrived at Ataturk? Has anyone been turned down for the free hotel night?

Thanks in advance for all help and advice.

Connie

131 replies to this topic
Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,286 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turkish Airlines Free Hotel Stay

Connie, The free hotel program is for those who have "forced layover" with Turkish Airlines in Istanbul. That means that there is no shorter connection in Istanbul on the same day with Turkish Airlines, and that you have not extended your layover purposefully for sightseeing in Istanbul.

Unfortunately you would not know your hotel till you reach the hotel desk at Ataturk Airport. No advance bookings. Turkish Airlines uses many different hotels but you are usually asked for a choice of an area.(Airport area, Taksim area, Sultanahmet area, etc.). And finally, yes, a lot of people have been turned down for the free hotel, mainly because theirs were not considered a forced layover but a an extended pleasure layover.

good luck,

enigma...

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turkish Airlines Free Hotel Stay

Hi Connie

I used two times the free hotel with Turkish Airlines.

The first time when I missed my connection flight at Ataturk Airport ,due to Turkish Airlines one hour delay in New -York. I had to get a visa at the airport because I didn't have one, and I went to the hotel's desk . It's located next to Starbucks. They sent me to Air Boss Hotel, and I had a free dinner. The next morning they took me back to the Airport with a free shuttle.

The second time when going back to New-York ,I had a 15 hours forced layover, so they sent me to a different hotel (AKGUN ISTANBUL). Both hotels were close to the airport and they didn't let me choose the hotel or the area ,they just did it!

Connie I hope this will help answer your question and don't forget to get a visa since you gonna leave the airport.

TurkeyLover.

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
655 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Turkish Airlines Free Hotel Stay

I will have to investigate much further to see if there are other Turkish Airline flight possibilities on the same route/dates to determine whether it would be considered a forced layover or not. I am pretty sure that there is only one Chicago-Istanbul flight per day. I am not sure if there are multiple Istanbul-Dublin flights. That is what I was hoping Turkish Airlines could answer for me before I booked the flight. Thanks for helping me to get a better picture of this program and what I can expect.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
24,505 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turkish Airlines Free Hotel Stay

If I were you, I would book a day or two in Istanbul as well before going to Dublin or even a day or two after Dublin, otherwise you will be wasting a lot of time flying all the way to Istanbul to fly back to Dublin and then fly back to Istanbul before going back to Chicago.

Edited: 20 March 2014, 02:06
Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,286 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turkish Airlines Free Hotel Stay

Connie, I agree with jordansbulls. Use the "MULTI_CITY" option of Turkish Airlines on their website: "http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-int/". This way you can stay at Istanbul for a few days and the cost of the trip will not be that much different than your ticket with a forced layover in Istanbul.

good luck,

enigma...

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
655 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Turkish Airlines Free Hotel Stay

Dear Enigma,

Oh I would love to add a few days onto a long layover in Istanbul. If I was traveling by myself I would do that in a heartbeat but I am making plans with three other people. Like a lot of Americans, Istanbul is not on their radar as a vacation destination. They might be willing to make a couple of brief stops in Istanbul if it means significantly cheaper Chicago to Dublin flights. Of course, I think once they see Istanbul they will be hooked and will want to return!

Connie

McLean, Virginia
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turkish Airlines Free Hotel Stay

Hi Connie, I have flown Turkish Airlines twice from IAD - IST enroute to Casablanca once and Lisbon once. Not only are their rates inexpensive compared to flying a more direct flight the free overnight in Istanbul is fantastic. Transfers are free too. Remember you're adding about 4&1/2 hrs flying time each way. You go to the Turkish Airlines hotel desk at IST. I got to know the employees there and requested nice hotels in Beyoglu not far from Taksim Square with great nightlife vs the more touristy Sultanahmet, although last inbound LIS - IST they put me up in the 4-5 star Crown Plaza in Sultanahmet, very nice. You should try and get a late morning, early afternoon outbound flight to Dublin so you can enjoy a late evening before, in a great city as the flight arrives late afternoon from the USA. Btw, I'm flying THY to Istanbul Sept 17th for a 12 day Black Sea/Greek Isle cruise with a side trip to Bucharest, Romania post cruise, all well under $1,000 for the multi-city flights, with stays in Istanbul both inbound and outbound, NO free stays this trip though. Dave

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
24,505 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Turkish Airlines Free Hotel Stay

I think the problem is that Turkish Airlines doesn't allow for changes to anything once you make a reservation.

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
655 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Turkish Airlines Free Hotel Stay

Dear Dave,

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, we didn't end up booking a flight with a layover in Istanbul. But I would have done it if I was flying by myself. I really did find that prices for THY Chicago to Dublin were a bargain. Hopefully on future trips to Europe I will be able to plan a nice layover to get my Istanbul fix.

Connie

McLean, Virginia
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Turkish Airlines Free Hotel Stay

Hi Connie, well have a great time in Dublin. My brother and I did a short 5 day stay in Dublin last Oct and had a wonderful time. It's a very walkable city and the on/off 2 bus companies were excellent with very knowledgeable drivers. We did side trips by rail to Howth and Bray and stopped at the best bar in the world in Bray, accordingly to Lonely Planet. I believe I did a post on TA about Dublin. I'm up to 65 countries visited now!

Dave

Reply to: Turkish Airlines Free Hotel Stay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted