We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to travel to Istanbul May 2014

ny
Level Contributor
345 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Safe to travel to Istanbul May 2014

My daughter and her boyfriend who are 21 years old are going to fly from Athens to Greece mid May. I am having a difficult time determining if it is safe now for them to travel there for two days. Where can I find that information or can anyone let me know their thoughts on Istanbul being a safe travel spot.

Thank you.

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe to travel to Istanbul May 2014

There is nowhere in the world 100% safe to travel - and no-one can tell you for sure that Istanbul will be either.

All the problems in Istanbul of late however have been away from the tourist areas (the old city, the bazaars etc) and there is no reason to suspect that will change.

The riots or demos have been around Taksim Square - and so it would be wise for them to stay away from there (especially on weekends) - and apart from that, go and enjoy themselves. Most tourists (especially those only there for two days) will have plenty to do without going anywhere near that area.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe to travel to Istanbul May 2014

As has been advised by Gonetothedogs unless they have something in particular to do at Taksim square tell them to avoid it as it is a bit of a magnet for protests but otherwise the whole city is safe to visit.

Personally I feel even Taksim is safe however its best for them to carry their wits & be vigilant if they happen to be there and sense crowds are gathering.

Plus there are no tourist attractions to visit in the immediate vicinity of Taksim apart from İstiklal road.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
29,076 posts
546 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe to travel to Istanbul May 2014

You are flying from Athens to Greece? Where else in Greece?

4. Re: Safe to travel to Istanbul May 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2015, 05:19