We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Istanbul Restaurants

toronto
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
Istanbul Restaurants

hi...

can you please tell me good local restaurants in Istanbul that are not touristy? i wish to eat with the locals, thank you.

Istanbul, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
3,936 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Istanbul Restaurants

Refer to "Top Questions"

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293974-i368-k3704…

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,052 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Istanbul Restaurants

Pilyo, where are you staying in Istanbul? There must be at least thousands of restaurants in Istanbul...

toronto
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Istanbul Restaurants

i am staying near galata tower

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,887 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Istanbul Restaurants

pilyo, Have a look at my post No. 3 at the following thread. "tripadvisor.com/…48715309". Kiva Han Restaurant and Gunaydin Restaurant are right by the Galata Tower but Istiklal street and Karakoy restaurants are also very close to the Tower.

enigma...

toronto
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Istanbul Restaurants

thank you...

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,052 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Istanbul Restaurants

Near Galata Tower is good, there are loads of restaurants around Galata, in Istiklal Street and Eminönü. It is a lesser touristy area than Sultanahmet and Istiklal Street is frequented by an enormous amount of Turkish people and they eat there as well.

My favorite has been Konak in Istaiklal Street, also Saray muhallebicisi if you like to eat puddings or pastries (good for a 5 o'clock tea or coffee!), Hamdi in Eminönü has loads of Turkish visitors too. Only because it is mentioned in guidebooks, it is obviously also a good place for tourits as well. I prefer lunch there, then they do not seem to hurry to empty your table again.

Also restaurants like Midpoint in Istiklal Street is a palce where lots of Turkish people go, especially because it is not a typical Turkish restaurant. Foreign food is a fashion here :-)

Then street food obviously...

And then the flower passage is a place where lots of locals have a meal.

If you like to be completely away from the tourists, go to Beşiktaş, or even cross the Bosphorus and go to Kadiköy or Üsküdar. If you decide to do so, have a meal in Otantik, on this side this restaurant is typical for locals and can be busy. The village woman making pancakes in the window may look touristy but this is quite an interesting look for city people as well. Try their "keşkek", icli kofte and a potato kind of dumpling. They do a very good lentil soup as well, actually their originally Anatolian food is good! It is not the type of restaurant for a dinner, very small table (as in low to the ground) and small chairs. No alcohol is served. I know Ciya is good as well but that must be a real tourist hype by now.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,052 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Istanbul Restaurants

Cheers!

toronto
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Istanbul Restaurants

thank you

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
4,017 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Istanbul Restaurants

Great suggestions VR! Very inspirational.

10. Re: Istanbul Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2015, 05:16