We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Kadikoy, best way to get to Sultanahamet

Saint Marcel, France
Level Contributor
8 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in Kadikoy, best way to get to Sultanahamet

I'm spending a week in Istanbul, in a home exchange in Kadikoy at the end of April. I think I'll want to travel almost every day over to Sultanahamet and on from there sometimes. What is the best ferry, from where to where exactly, and are there buses or trams then easily available to the major sights? I am 71 and a little disabled, meaning that I would rather not walk long distances between places, but save my strength for seeing the actual place. Would taxis from the ferry port be a better option for me, and about what would they cost for, say 2 or 3 kilometres [I'm travelling on a budget]. I appreciate any information. Thanks. Wolffie

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Kadikoy, best way to get to Sultanahamet

A taxi from Kadıköy to Sultanahmet would cost close around 40-50 lira due to being located on opposite sides of the strait.

You have got the logistics of it correct.

Easiest method would be to catch the ferry from Kadıköy to Eminönü for 1.95 lira.

Here is the timetable sehirhatlari.com.tr/en/timetable/kadikoy-emi…

Then catch the T1 Bağcılar tram & get off at Sultanahmet which is the 3rd stop also for 1.95 lira.

This method wouldn't require much walking & I am sure you will still have plenty in the tank to traverse the sights & sounds of Istanbul.

Normally the taxi drivers in Istanbul wouldn't be as kind to take fares for 2-3kms however even they have a heart and will assist old & disabled people.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
37,750 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Kadikoy, best way to get to Sultanahamet

Wolffie, You can take a taxi to Kadikoy pier if you wish and that would be very reasonably priced from wherever your home is. Afterwards the most comfortable is to take a ferry from the Kadikoy pier to Eminonu and the tram from Eminonu to Sultanahmet. Here is the rail systems map: "…wikimedia.org/wikipedia/…29.png".

enigma...

Saint Marcel, France
Level Contributor
8 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Kadikoy, best way to get to Sultanahamet

Thank you both, that information is very helpful indeed. I'm a whizz on organising when I travel with friends, but on my own I am pray to worrying and become disorganised! Knowing stuff ahead of time [and I am up to my ears in guidebooks and internet sites at present] is very settling, particularly about traversing big cities since I live in the countryside. Thanks again, Wolffie

4. Re: Staying in Kadikoy, best way to get to Sultanahamet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2015, 06:16