We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dolmabahce Palace to Ortakoy Sunday market

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
73 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Dolmabahce Palace to Ortakoy Sunday market

We are hoping to combine a visit to Dolmabahce Palace with Ortakoy market next Sunday but are not sure how to get from the palace to Ortakoy. Is there a bus we can take or will there be any taxis available around the palace? Our other alternative for the afternoon / evening is Kadinlar Pazari but I'm not sure if the surrounding shops will be open and whether there will much atmosphere on a Sunday. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Istanbul, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
3,914 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dolmabahce Palace to Ortakoy Sunday market

Hi,

There's always traffic jam on this road especially on sundays so I advice walking if weather is good. Total distance is 2.5 km and it will take around half an hour. Taxi or bus will take more or less same time.

You can take any bus following coastal route or a taxi. Taxi drivers may reject going Ortaköy due to traffic jam.

Alper

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,567 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dolmabahce Palace to Ortakoy Sunday market

Sandra, You can walk from Dolmabahce Palace to Ortakoy in 40 minutes. Here is the route: "http://goo.gl/maps/mG1HJ". Otherwise, you can take the bus 25E from Kabatas to Ortakoy. Kabatas is 5 minutes walk from Dolmabahce.

enigma...

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,003 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dolmabahce Palace to Ortakoy Sunday market

I may be wrong but I thought I read somewhere that the Sunday market in Ortaköy had been discontinued.

I am sure Enigma will be able to confirm / contradict this...

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,138 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dolmabahce Palace to Ortakoy Sunday market

There was some disturbance in the Ortakoy Sunday market about a year ago. This is the link that explains what happened. Enigma made a special trip to confirm that the market continued, and you can read his report. There have been no further discussions about closing the market with which I am familiar. We were there in November. I thought there were fewer craft vendors than on previous visits, but that just might have been the weather. It was still very much alive however.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,567 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dolmabahce Palace to Ortakoy Sunday market

LPB, Sunday market at Ortakoy is open. In fact the Sunday market became so popular that it is held every day of the week now and has become a permanent fixture at Ortakoy.

enigma...

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
73 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dolmabahce Palace to Ortakoy Sunday market

Thank you so much Enigma, this is really helpful - as usual!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
73 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dolmabahce Palace to Ortakoy Sunday market

And thanks to everyone else too, I hadn't appreciated the traffic would be so bad. It may be an idea to walk after all, it might work off the huge Sunday morning Turkish breakfast we'll have had

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dolmabahce Palace to Ortakoy Sunday market

The traffic can definitely catch you off guard and you are right as walking is more often the best alternative.

Also get the added benefit of working off the calories and the other benefit of being able to consume more yummy local cuisine on offer.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
22 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dolmabahce Palace to Ortakoy Sunday market

so the Ortakoy market is open everyday and not only Sunday. is it ?

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,567 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dolmabahce Palace to Ortakoy Sunday market

LilieIsmail, Ortakoy market is open every day.

enigma...