We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where can i watch the Eurovision song contest in Istanbul?

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
where can i watch the Eurovision song contest in Istanbul?

I'll be in Istanbul when this year's Eurovision is on (May 10th). I'm a big fan and am hoping there will be somewhere I can watch it. Can anyone advise whether it is widely shown in the city or recommend any bars that will be showing it?

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,909 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where can i watch the Eurovision song contest in Istanbul?

Unfortunately, as you may be aware, Turkey is not participating again (though they should be back in 2015 apparently). So there will be little interest locally. If you find a small friendly bar / café where you become a regular, they would probably oblige, since they can find almost anything to show on Sat TV - even if it comes via Azerbaijan.

Down the Aegean in Selcuk / Ephesus I would say that many cafes would be helpful eg Smyrna Bar.

The Eurovision Song Contest always fascinates me. In 2003 I watched (in Beyoglu) with a dear friend who sadly died less than a year later. We got more and more excited as it appeared that not only Turkey might win (Sertab Erener did) - but also the UK might end up with the dreaded "nul points"! Huge fun, if you're not too partisan.

I'd say that generally the best song wins, but the voting is so blatantly political. Whatever, you won't get Terry Wogan's commentary. I remember him getting excited too, in 2003: "Could be Istanbul next year! I like the sound of that!"

2. Re: where can i watch the Eurovision song contest in Istanbul?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2015, 06:17