We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long-Awaited Return to Istanbul Finally a Reality!

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Long-Awaited Return to Istanbul Finally a Reality!

Those of you who have been regulars on this forum for a while may remember me from my September 2008 four-day visit to Istanbul. I fell in love with your beautiful city, remained active on this forum for several years and planned a return visit in 2012. However, our daughter decided to marry that fall so we had to cancel our trip. Well, I am returning next month for another four days, arriving on the afternoon of May 19, a national holiday, I believe. I will be asking for your expert assistance again with my planning.

Right now, we plan a return visit to Hagia Sofia because so much as been uncovered there in the past few years since our visit. Military history fan husband definitely wants us to visit the Military Museum, which is fine my me because I finally will get to hear the Mehter Band which plays there in the afternoon. Also, the Suleymaniye Mosque, which was closed in 2008, is now open, and, of course, I look forward to a Bosphorus cruise.

Is the Turkish and Islamic Arts Museum open yet? Will it be open by late May? Is the Rahmi M. Koc of interest to adults? Is the Sakip Sabanci Museum difficult to find?

We are open to any and all suggestions and very excited about our return. Just walking around and absorbing the sights and sounds will be wonderful.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Long-Awaited Return to Istanbul Finally a Reality!

Thanks very much, canmom. Only one more week to wait!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Long-Awaited Return to Istanbul Finally a Reality!

Any chance the Turkish and Islamic Arts Museum will be open in 10 days??

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Long-Awaited Return to Istanbul Finally a Reality!

The Turkish & Islamic arts museum is closed and not due to reopen until the 2nd week of July.

May be later depending on when they finalise the complete overhaul they have performed there.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Long-Awaited Return to Istanbul Finally a Reality!

Thanks, ResmeN. Guess we will have to wait until our next visit to Istanbul!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Long-Awaited Return to Istanbul Finally a Reality!

Don't worry it'll be in a better state of condition for your return.

Not to worry as Istanbul has more than many other cities on offer to keep you busy.

If you can visit all the places suggested to you in this thread alone you have done well Cinti.

26. Re: Long-Awaited Return to Istanbul Finally a Reality!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2015, 05:15