Having scoured through your advice and researched various sources I think I have managed to put together a 4 day itinerary for Istanbul and would appreciate your input as I am not sure whether it is doable or whether I’m squeezing in too much.
Sunday 20/4/2014 Arrival at 17:00 (Staying at Midtown Hotel, Taksim area)
• Istiklal street/Taksim/Beyoglu area, Cezayir sk, Çukurcuma
• Climb Galata Tower
• Topkapi Sarayi & Hagia Irene Museum (Aya İrini Kilisesi)
• Ecumenical Patriarchate (Rum Patrikhanesi), Özel Fener Rum Lisesi and Meryem and Rum Ortodoks Kilisesi
• Chora Museum (Kariye Müzesi)
• Süleymaniye Mosque
• Εyup - Pier Lotti
• Dinner near Istiklal street
• Ay. Sofia
• Sultanahmet Camii
• Yerebatan Sarnici
• Divan Yolu
• Misir Carsisi
• Kapali Carsi
• Station Sirkeci - Pera Palas
• Dinner at Ciya Sofrasi via Marmaray
• Dolmabahce Sarayi
• Bosphorous cruise (Şehir Hatları ferry or Turyol for short Bosphorus cruise from Eminönü ). Perhaps as enigma2007 has previously suggested, buy one-way ticket for long Bosphorus cruise (15 TL) get off at Sarıyer, then take a bus 25E and get off at Emirgan station. After visiting Emirgan park take the same bus (25E) to Rumeli Hisari or Ortakoy and spend some time there.
Thursday 24/4/2014 Departure at 13:15
Also I’ m not sure whether on day one I should schedule first the visit to Eyup via ferry from Eminonu (or bus depending which is faster) and then take the cable car down and walk to other sites or do it the other way around. Is this realistic? If I can’t combine the Eyup area, do you think I can walk from the Ecumenical Patriarchate (Rum Patrikhanesi) to the Chora Museum?
Taking into account that Wednesday is a public holiday do you think the programme is ok? Are there any celebrations that we should be aware of?
I'm really thrilled about this trip and at the same time anxious to fit as much as possible in the available time.
Thanking you in advance for your assistance.