We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Istanbul detail questions

Hammond, Indiana
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Istanbul detail questions

Hi, I have a few questions for our upcoming Istanbul visit in May and I would appreciate any help/advice that anyone has to offer.

1) Can we just visit the Topkapi Palace Harem and not the rest of the palace?

2) Is much of the Hagia Sofia interior still obscured by scaffolding?

3) Can we take a ferry/boat to get to/from the Rahmi Koc museum? If so, which ferry/boat dock should we use (we are staying at the Sphendon in the old town)?

Thank you, Velda

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,056 posts
671 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Istanbul detail questions

1, In order to go to Harem, you should first enter the Palace. The price would be 30 TL plus 15 TL for Harem.

2, As far as I saw last week, it would be there for sometime.

Hammond, Indiana
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Istanbul detail questions

Thank you!

Too bad that you can't visit just the harem and not the rest of the palace....the Harem sounds interesting to me and the rest sounds much less interesting.

I was afraid having read reviews of the Hagia Sofia that the scaffolding would still be in place at the end of May. I think we will skip the inside and just visit the Blue Mosque.

Your help is appreciated, Velda

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Istanbul detail questions

There is always scaffolding in the Hagia Sophia - but it is such an incredible space, it really is a must see (ever with scaffolding!).

You can just visit the harem but as it is inside the Palace, you have to pay to enter there first. The Fourth Courtyard is also worth visiting as you can see other views of the harem from here (including lower levels you can't see any other way) - and the kiosks are stunning.

Hammond, Indiana
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Istanbul detail questions

Thanks, Gonetothedogs. I'm not sure we will visit Hagia Sophia because my husband has very little interest in such and if you have to pay and have scaffolding and maybe wait in line....The Blue Mosque is probably the one for us.

If we are forced to pay for the rest of the palace, I suppose we will have no choice and I will keep in mind the other highlights you mention.

Thank you for your help, Velda

5. Re: Istanbul detail questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2015, 07:15