We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long layover with free hotel accommodation at Istanbul by TK

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
6 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Long layover with free hotel accommodation at Istanbul by TK

Hi,

I will be travelling from Africa to Gulf via Turkish Airline this week. I checkd with Hotel Desk and they confirmed I am eligible for free hotel accommodation. Do I need to arrange with Turkish visa to avail this facility (I can avail evisa also, I am travelling on PAK passport but eligble for evisa also, having schengen visa). My main qusetion is that Do I have to pass from immigration to reach hotel for a 22 hour Stop over.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
38,832 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long layover with free hotel accommodation at Istanbul by TK

Sohail, The simple answer is yes, you have to go thru immigration to enter Turkey and use the free hotel opportunity offered to you by Turkish airlines. If you have a valid (unused single entry, or multiple entry) Schengen visa, then you qualify for an evisa, "https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/". Once you clear customs, just go to the hotel desk by the Starbucks and Turkish Airlines folks will make your hotel arrangements for you. To qualify for a free hotel, you need to have a "forced layover" meaning that there is no shorter connection within 24 hours of your flight.

enjoy Istanbul briefly,

enigma...

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
6 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long layover with free hotel accommodation at Istanbul by TK

Enigma, Thanks a lot for your reply. This hotel desk is located after immigration or before that? and what about the checked baggage? Will we be boarded with checked baggage till our final destination? or We need to collect it at stop over?

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
38,832 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long layover with free hotel accommodation at Istanbul by TK

Sohail, For such a long stopover, you may want to collect your luggage at Istanbul. However you should consult the airline for that and see if they want to check them thru your final destination. If you pick them up at Istanbul, you can leave your luggage at the "luggage storage" at the airport and then go to your hotel. Your hotel may provide free shuttle to the hotel and back to the airport.

The hotel desk is after you go thru immigration and customs.

enigma....

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
6 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long layover with free hotel accommodation at Istanbul by TK

Last thing enigma, Is visa on arrival at IST still possible? Or do we need to arrange one prior to our arrival for this stop over?

This hotel offer does not include transportation? how one can reach an unknown hotel in the middle of night?

Edited: 26 April 2014, 19:31
Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
38,832 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long layover with free hotel accommodation at Istanbul by TK

Sohail, evisa is still possible at the airport but much more expensive and you waste time getting it.

In the middle of the night, your choice would be a taxi to your hotel. Depending on the lcation the fare will range from 20 to 60 TL.

enigma...

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
6 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long layover with free hotel accommodation at Istanbul by TK

I am travelling with my wife & a 2 year old child. All of us travelling on Pakistani Passport.

So, What do you suggest me to take? an e_visa or visa on arrival for this free stop over night. As I mentioned my forced layover time is about 22+hours. My single entry Schengen visa is already been used this week but validity date mentioned on visa sticker is untill 21-May-2014. I confirmed from airline before taking up the flight and they said they will check validity date only, as this is my return flight of the same journey.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
38,832 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long layover with free hotel accommodation at Istanbul by TK

Sohail, the single entry Schengen expires on the date it is used for entry to Schengen area, because it is not reusable again. However if the Turkish Airlines is willing to accept it as valid because of a later expiration date, then you may take the risk and hope that the Turkish immigration agrees with the airline interpretation. If you already have a valid UK or USA visa, that can also be used for an evisa. These conditions also hold for your wife.

You should get an evisa online in advance of your trip.

enigma...

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
6 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Long layover with free hotel accommodation at Istanbul by TK

Hello Enigma

What are the best places to explore during my layover time in IST. I will be reaching IST late evening approximately 2000 hrs on 29th April and my next flight will be again 1830 following day. What should be the means of transportation used while rooming in the city? During my stay, should the meals also covered in the hotel arrangements by TK?

9. Re: Long layover with free hotel accommodation at Istanbul by TK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2015, 05:16