We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with where to stay for 6 night visit to Istanbul.

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Royal Oak, Michigan
Level Contributor
10 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Help with where to stay for 6 night visit to Istanbul.

Hello fellow travelers. We are going to be in Istanbul for 6 nights mid June with our 5 and 10 year old girls. We are undecided between staying in an apt. in Cihangir a few blocks from Taksim or a lovely apt on the Bospherous next to Yaldiz Park, with a view to die for. My husband thinks it will be too difficult to get to the sites of Sutanahmet, but I think the park and the view of the water would be such a nice break from the city, especially for the children. Any thoughts on this from people who know how to get around? I don't want to spend all my budget and time on transportation, but I do love the water and park.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
136 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with where to stay for 6 night visit to Istanbul.

Hi,

Apartment near Yildiz Park can be a good choice, it is not far from the main sights. You can use public transportation to Sultanahmet area from there, you will use a bus and tram for Sultanahmet. I don't think you will spend more than 1-2 days in Sultanahmet, so you don't need to be too close to this area. There are many other options near Yildiz Park. You can walk to Ortakoy or Dolmabahce Palace from the apartment, you can also get to Taksim by just one bus. If you do like the Bosphorus view, you should choose the apartment near Yildiz Park.

Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
425 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with where to stay for 6 night visit to Istanbul.

I imagine that view from hotel near Yaldiz Park can be amazing but as a tourist I would not stay there. I don't know if there is any bus line that connects to tram line starting from Kabatas(probably is), but it sure will take some time.

Why don't you consider Sultanahmet or Sirkeci area to stay? If I would have children, these areas would be my number one choice. There are many hotels with great view.

With these two options I would go with Yaldiz Park probably

Edited: 28 April 2014, 12:27
Royal Oak, Michigan
Level Contributor
10 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with where to stay for 6 night visit to Istanbul.

Thanks to you both for your responses. Hakan you have validated my reasons for staying near Yildiz, do you think it will take long to get to Sulanahmet? More than 1/2 hour by bus and tram? It looks like it's only 3 or 4 miles? Do the buses run often?

Thank you.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
136 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with where to stay for 6 night visit to Istanbul.

It takes 30-45 minutes at most maybe less then 30 minutes between Yildiz Park and Sultanahmet, both buses and trams run often. You will take a bus to Kabatas tram station and then tram to Sultanahmet.

Surrey, UK
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
7,097 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with where to stay for 6 night visit to Istanbul.

Given that as a first time visitor you will spend most of your time in Sultanahmet and around that area (a couple of days to see the main sights, the Bazaars etc), I would really suggest staying there. You also are in close proximity to your hotel to take your children back to rest, change, and drop off shopping. There are some great hotels with terraces and sea views.

It will only take you 45 mins or so to travel between Yildez Park (depending how close to the bus stop your hotel is) but that adds up to an hour and a half each day (if you only go back to the hotel at the end of each day). Also avoid traveling in the rush hours as it can be a bit crazy!

I guess it depends whether you are going to see the sights of the city, or if you are planning a more relaxed break where parks and the views are more important.

Mount Dora, Florida
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
14,091 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with where to stay for 6 night visit to Istanbul.

While I normally recommend Sultanahmet and Sirkeci for first time visitors, I also acknowledge that this area will likely be crazy busy and crammed with tourists. Selected as the number one vacation destination in the world along with a very favorable exchange rate I would expect June to be a record-breaking month for tourists.

For this reason I would likely select the apartment near Yeldız Park because it will provide some respite from the throng of tourists. I do generally suggest a hotel over an apartment for first time guests because I think the benefit of the knowledge and language skills from the hotel staff out weighs the convenience of an apartment, but if you feel as if you can manage without these conveniences I think you would be comfortable in the Yildiz Park property.

I do not think the transportation situation is significantly different.

7. Re: Help with where to stay for 6 night visit to Istanbul.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2015, 06:16