We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 nights istanbul -split?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Topic
6 nights istanbul -split?

My wife and I will be in Istanbul end May for 6 nights arrive Sunday 7pm depart Saturday 2pm. Should we stay in the old town or was thinking to split 3 nights old town and then book 3 nights on airbnb studio in beyoglu around galeta tower.

What's people's thoughts? Thx

Tallinn, Estonia
Level Contributor
425 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 nights istanbul -split?

These areas are so close to each other. I know some people have done it but I would not. You can always stay in Sirkeci that is between these two areas. 7-10 minutes walk to Sultanahmet (Hagia Sophia) and about 20 minutes walk to Galata tower.

If you are really into night life then maybe it's better to stay 3 night near Taksim.

Karachi, Pakistan
Level Contributor
21 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 nights istanbul -split?

Faced the exact same conundrum and was thinking to do 2 nights Taksim and 3 nights Sultanahmet.

Decided to just stay in Taksim. Easy access to Sultanahmet for day trips and close to night life after evening rest at hotel.

That's the plan, going in June and have never been before.

BR.

Edited: 04 May 2014, 21:20
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,056 posts
671 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 nights istanbul -split?

Some prefer moving around but it would be easier to stay at one place by familiarising the area for what to expect.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 nights istanbul -split?

I agree with 8kats & Normadroaming advice above.

Easier to stay put in one place rather than moving from one to another.

Public transport in Istanbul goes everywhere & is very easy to use.

You have the option of bus, ferry, tram, train, metro, funicular & cable car.

I would recommend a 1st or 2nd time visitor wanting to see the history & beauty of the city to stay in the old city: Sultanahmet, Sirkeci, Aksaray

If you'd rather do the disco circuit then stay around Taksim, Besiktas, Galata

Istanbul, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 nights istanbul -split?

Hi,

As mentioned previously, two areas are only few km.s away from each other. Moving between hotels means loosing your valuable time. Take tram from old town, leave at Karaköy and take nostalgic tram to Tunnel square. You're at Galata in less than half an hour.

Alper

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 nights istanbul -split?

Thanks forum friends very clear feedback and will follow the advice and base in the hotel in old town. The only other possible benefit is the space of the studio in galeta is big not just a hotel room for same price. Cheers

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
5,907 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 nights istanbul -split?

You can find apartments in the old city, too.

8. Re: 6 nights istanbul -split?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2015, 06:16