We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kaymak at Hafiz Mustafa 1864

Which Istanbul hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,232 posts
298 reviews
Save Topic
Kaymak at Hafiz Mustafa 1864

Dear TA Istanbul Friends,

I know that Hafiz Mustafa is one of Istanbul's most famous shops for lokum and other sweet things. In a TA picture, a reviewer has uploaded a picture of kaymak and honey. It's not listed on the website menu. Is kaymak only served at breakfast time? Many thanks.

…tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/05/b6/5d/cd/h…

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
36,570 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kaymak at Hafiz Mustafa 1864

Gigis_mum, Kaymak and honey is very popular at breakfast but kaymak is also served on a lot of other deserts, the most prominent one being "künefe". It is a truly outstanding desert from the Hatay region of Turkey and is best served with kaymak over it together with sprinkled pistachios. Here are some pics: "http://www.ekolkunefe.com/resim.asp". Kaymak is also wonderful with walnuts sprinkled over it combined with honey. I also love kaymak over quince desert. "deliciousistanbul.com/blog/…". It is rarely eaten all by itself.

enigma...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kaymak at Hafiz Mustafa 1864

Kaymak is usually a breakfast staple but also served on the side of some sweet dishes

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,232 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kaymak at Hafiz Mustafa 1864

Thanks enigma and ResmeN,

TA is having some problems with their new picture viewing format. My link above worked earlier and now it doesn't. Here's the review with pictures from Italian reviewer Arianna that I linked earlier:

tripadvisor.it/…UR200779008

It looks like she had a kunefe and 2 pomegranate teas. On the table, there's also a plate of kaymak with honey and a basket of bread. Do you think she ordered JUST the kunefe and that the kaymak+bread were served on the side? That's a lot of food (and calories)! :-)

Thank goodness there are so many steep streets in Istanbul. I'm sure I will have to climb them several times a day just to walk off some of the food.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kaymak at Hafiz Mustafa 1864

The plate of kaymak with honey and a basket of bread were ordered separately and not given with the order of kunefe.

When ordering ask for balli kaymak which means cream with honey.

I agree about the steep streets & many steps involved in getting to & from places.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
24,232 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kaymak at Hafiz Mustafa 1864

Thanks again, Resme.

I'm glad that we'll have over a week to explore. Looking forward to tasting kaymak and many other treats.

6. Re: Kaymak at Hafiz Mustafa 1864

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 May 2015, 06:18